Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm driving a 98 SLK 230K Auto and I was wondering how many gears the box has as it has a 4, 3 and a 2 and whilst looking on the net today I noticed a year 2000 Pre Facelift 230 Auto with a + and a - on the Auto Box with no numbers. How do these boxes differ? Are they both 5 speed? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All 5 spd adaptive 722-6 type - post f/l has extra 'tiptronic' features

Oberoi

Thanks, Oberoi. You're the man! I appreciate that you've said the post facelift gearbox has 'extra' tiptronic features but is the pre facelift gearbox at all tiptronic? Sorry if my question is confusing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also have a '98 SLK230 auto. They are a 5 speed auto, that are electronic adaptive. They didn't start offering other options until '99, when they started making them with a 5-speed manual, or the 5-speed automatic with Touch Shift (that's the + and - you saw). Other than the touchshift I don't think they're any different. And that doesn't even make that much difference since the auto in the '98s have 1 thru 4 , so you can shift it yourself anyways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have a '98 SLK230 auto. They are a 5 speed auto, that are electronic adaptive. They didn't start offering other options until '99, when they started making them with a 5-speed manual, or the 5-speed automatic with Touch Shift (that's the + and - you saw). Other than the touchshift I don't think they're any different. And that doesn't even make that much difference since the auto in the '98s have 1 thru 4 , so you can shift it yourself anyways.
Thanks, RCB. I have total clarification now. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts