Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Sonny, you're not the only one who buys oil and filter at the dealer. I do, too, however the parts counter gives me a discount since we've known each other for many years. It ends up being a good deal. Moral: get to know your dealer parts team and good things happen

John

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hi John,
I agree 100% with you and I get the discount as well so it is not too bad. But this time around my regular parts guy was gone and the new guy gave me the other oil instead. I should have checked but oh well :smile

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What everyone said. It will make no difference. Just change your oil and filter frequently.

And there is absolutely no reason to buy Mobil 1 0w-40 euro synthetic (Group III GTL gas-to-liquid) oil (not true synthetic by European standards) when you can buy Castrol EDGE 0w-40 (Group IV PAO poly-alpha-olefin, true synthetic) oil at 5 quarts for 22.48 on Walmart or at times on Amazon with free shipping. The Castrol is superior in every way and also meets MB certification. Stock up.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Didn't know about the Castrol, @bkdc. Thanks for that tip!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What everyone said. It will make no difference. Just change your oil and filter frequently.

And there is absolutely no reason to buy Mobil 1 0w-40 euro synthetic (Group III GTL gas-to-liquid) oil (not true synthetic by European standards) when you can buy Castrol EDGE 0w-40 (Group IV PAO poly-alpha-olefin, true synthetic) oil at 5 quarts for 22.48 on Walmart or at times on Amazon with free shipping. The Castrol is superior in every way and also meets MB certification. Stock up.
Thank you. I didn't know that either. I have used Castrol forever on my BMW's and I like it but didn't think to use it on the Mercedes. Is this the one??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you. I didn't know that either. I have used Castrol forever on my BMW's and I like it but didn't think to use it on the Mercedes. Is this the one??

Yes, that's the one. Not all Castrol Edge is Group IV oil, but the 0W-40 A3/B4 is the good stuff. Stock up at Walmart.

I used to use Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5w-40 but the Castrol Edge 0W-40 is the best bang for the buck out there, and it's hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, that's the one. Not all Castrol Edge is Group IV oil, but the 0W-40 A3/B4 is the good stuff. Stock up at Walmart.

I used to use Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5w-40 but the Castrol Edge 0W-40 is the best bang for the buck out there, and it's hard to beat for the price.
Great thank you!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The most important thing is to change the oil and filter frequently. The oil doesn't matter as much as long as it's a decent oil that meets your manufacturer's specs. I just pointed out Castrol because it is superior to and priced lower than the very popular Mobil 1 0W-40.

The stoutest oil I've found is Redline 5W-40 although it is not MB approved. The HTHS of 4.4 is insane and this oil is perfectly safe to use. I'm just not willing to pay three times the price for oil when the Castrol is perfectly adequate.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
They are both high quality oils and either will be fine
I know people take oil choice as a religion but it’s not really that important which manufacturer you choose. Any band brand oil, changed regularly and kept full will protect your car just fine

All oil problems come from failing to check level and starvation. Or infrequent changes . That’s it.

The brand you use doesn’t matter and for most of us in average climates the oil weight doesn’t matter either .

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
11 Participants
tusabes
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing