Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been using Mobil 1 5w-40 from the dealership since I bought the car reason being they told me that Mercedes had made the switch from the 0w-40 to the 5w-40 for our engines through some bulletin. That was back in 2012. I go there today to find out that my regular parts guy "no longer works there" I am guessing, they let him go. Great guy by the way. Anyhow, get my 8 quarts of oil along with the new filter, wish the new guy Good Luck and I leave. Get home, jack the car up let the old oil out, put three quarts of the new oil in and I happen to look at the box. Sh*t it is 0w-40 :frown Now I realize that both oils are fine for our cars and I would probably never be able to tell the difference and so fourth but my OCD keeps doubting. So my question is, should I run the 0-40 for now and then my next oil change go back to the 5-40?? Or go get the same 5-40 I been using all along and change to that right away?? What do the car gurus here suggest??

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S, 2016 BMW 750i
502 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but if the oil satisfies the MB 229.3 criteria, you should be good to go. Some on the forum use Mobil1 0W-40 with good results.

John

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not 100% sure, but if the oil satisfies the MB 229.3 criteria, you should be good to go. Some on the forum use Mobil1 0W-40 with good results.

John

Thanks John,

You are absolutely right, a lot of the guys here use it and actually that is what Mercedes used to recommend before they made the switch to the 5W 40. I guess my main concern is that we are going into the summer months here and the temps go well above 100 at times so do not know if the 0w 40 will be thick enough. If it was the winter I would have had no problem with it :smile

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,887 Posts
Hi Sonny,

Been here done this to death :wink

The 0W as opposed to 5W means, (in laymans terms before all the Oil Tycoon Experts start up chiming in), it performs better from a colder temperature, and the 40 figure means it will be the same Hot Performance as the 5W / 40

Leave it be it's fine :wink

HTH,

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,581 Posts
Wow you must really have bad ocd if you are concerned about this . Ow-40 was the original fill in these cars and is perfectly fine. So is 5w-40 so is 15w-40. In fact almost none of us live in climates where it matters , and as Dave says the 0 and 5 have nothing to do with summer months anyway

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Sonny,

Been here done this to death :wink

The 0W as opposed to 5W means, (in laymans terms before all the Oil Tycoon Experts start up chiming in), it performs better from a colder temperature, and the 40 figure means it will be the same Hot Performance as the 5W / 40

Leave it be it's fine :wink

HTH,
Thanks man!! Feel better already :grin
Question is, do I go back the next oil change or just stay with the 0-40?? I just can't believe I didn't look at the bottles prior. Slacking off my friend slacking off lol

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you must really have bad ocd if you are concerned about this . Ow-40 was the original fill in these cars and is perfectly fine. So is 5w-40 so is 15w-40. In fact almost none of us live in climates where it matters , and as Dave says the 0 and 5 have nothing to do with summer months anyway
Thanks Tusabes,
Yeah I realize all of the above and you are absolutely correct on all but OCD kicks in especially when I have used the same viscosity oil religiously for the last 7 years lol I guess I don't like changes :smile

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,581 Posts
It doesn’t Matter whether you stay with 0w-40, go back to 5w-40, or even mix the two .

Much more important is how often you check the level and change the oil . Those actually matter .

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn’t Matter whether you stay with 0w-40, go back to 5w-40, or even mix the two .

Much more important is how often you check the level and change the oil . Those actually matter .
Good point! And trust me I stay on top of that. I change the oil twice a year or every 6 months since I do not drive the car everyday and do not go by mileage.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,363 Posts
No need to switch back if you don't want to. Since I live in an area where it does get below freezing in the winter, I've taken to using 0W-30 even in the Honda Civics (the book calls for 5W-30 or 10W-30). This is because of what Dave pointed out, above, about the "W" rating for oils. In my Benzes, I continue to use 0W-40 (Mobil FS European Formula). Works great. In Las Vegas or Phoenix, AZ summers, I think 5W-40 or even 10W-40 would also work, due to the ambient temperature.

When it's cold, I *want* lower viscosity, and all it means is that shearing of the oil molecules will take place a little sooner, vs. if the W rating and the "hot" rating are closer. That's all. However, remember that M-B's computer says to change your oil typically every 10,000 miles (the "A Service"). I do it every 5,000 miles. This seems to work well, because the '03 S430's engine has gradually quieted down over the last couple of years. And in all of my M113-equipped cars, I use exclusively the white "fleece" filters, instead of the paper ones (the S600 and the E320 CDI factory filters are paper, so they're different).

So, you're fine.

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to switch back if you don't want to. Since I live in an area where it does get below freezing in the winter, I've taken to using 0W-30 even in the Honda Civics (the book calls for 5W-30 or 10W-30). This is because of what Dave pointed out, above, about the "W" rating for oils. In my Benzes, I continue to use 0W-40 (Mobil FS European Formula). Works great. In Las Vegas or Phoenix, AZ summers, I think 5W-40 or even 10W-40 would also work, due to the ambient temperature.

When it's cold, I *want* lower viscosity, and all it means is that shearing of the oil molecules will take place a little sooner, vs. if the W rating and the "hot" rating are closer. That's all. However, remember that M-B's computer says to change your oil typically every 10,000 miles (the "A Service"). I do it every 5,000 miles. This seems to work well, because the '03 S430's engine has gradually quieted down over the last couple of years. And in all of my M113-equipped cars, I use exclusively the white "fleece" filters, instead of the paper ones (the S600 and the E320 CDI factory filters are paper, so they're different).

So, you're fine.
Thanks T,
Yes I remember you using the 0w -40 in your cars as well. I also realize that if anything the 0w - 40 will give me better protection in the winter months especially with all the low temps we get here in CT but I guess the biggest shock initially was switching over after 7 years of using the same oil :eek Anyhow I will give this one a shot and who knows, I may even stay with it if I get the same results as you and it gets my engine quiet just like yours :wink
Just wanted to thank you guys again for putting my mind at ease :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
607 Posts
Well I have been using Mobil 1 5w-40 from the dealership since I bought the car reason being they told me that Mercedes had made the switch from the 0w-40 to the 5w-40 for our engines through some bulletin. That was back in 2012. I What do the car gurus here suggest??
Only mistake you made was buying it from the dealer all these years! Maybe you are not a Costco member but that is where I buy my "Mobil-1 0-40 European Formula". Some Warehouses stock it, some don't. I buy it when it is on rebate, last time it was I noticed they did not stock the w0-40 in my store but I looked at the rebate sign and the 0-40 was listed. So online I go, sure enough it is there. 28.69 0r 4.78 per quart to my door. At the time I ordered it Costco was offering free two day shipping. So check your Costco if they don't carry it wait for the free shipping and rebate and stock up.

https://www.costco.com/Mobil-1-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-40.product.100169676.html

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only mistake you made was buying it from the dealer all these years! Maybe you are not a Costco member but that is where I buy my "Mobil-1 0-40 European Formula". Some Warehouses stock it, some don't. I buy it when it is on rebate, last time it was I noticed they did not stock the w0-40 in my store but I looked at the rebate sign and the 0-40 was listed. So online I go, sure enough it is there. 28.69 0r 4.78 per quart to my door. At the time I ordered it Costco was offering free two day shipping. So check your Costco if they don't carry it wait for the free shipping and rebate and stock up.

https://www.costco.com/Mobil-1-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-40.product.100169676.html
Thanks Wally, and yes I am a member at Costco :smile Reason that I was not getting the 0w-40 at Costco is simple, I was not using the 0w-40 :smile I was using the 5w-40 based on my Dealership recommendations and unfortunately I couldn't find the 5w-40 Formula M anywhere else but the dealership. if I do decide to stay with the 0w-40 from now on I would definitely get it at Costco. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Walmart currently has the 5-gallon jugs on sale for US $22.88. Yep, that includes 0W-40. Yep, I bought some.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Yep, I meant 5-quart jugs. Oops.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
607 Posts
Thanks Wally, and yes I am a member at Costco :smile Reason that I was not getting the 0w-40 at Costco is simple, I was not using the 0w-40 :smile I was using the 5w-40 based on my Dealership recommendations and unfortunately I couldn't find the 5w-40 Formula M anywhere else but the dealership. if I do decide to stay with the 0w-40 from now on I would definitely get it at Costco. Thanks again.
You are correct my bad Costco does not carry the 5-40, 5-30 but no 5-40w. Over looked that key issue.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
607 Posts
Walmart currently has the 5-gallon jugs on sale for US $22.88. Yep, that includes 0W-40. Yep, I bought some.
Taking into account it is qts the Walmart sales price 4.57 is a little better then Costco's sale price 4.78. But either is better then the dealer.

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S, 2016 BMW 750i
502 Posts
Hey Sonny, you're not the only one who buys oil and filter at the dealer. I do, too, however the parts counter gives me a discount since we've known each other for many years. It ends up being a good deal. Moral: get to know your dealer parts team and good things happen

John

1 - 20 of 55 Posts