Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2009 CLK at auction yesterday. Let's see if it was a good deal or not

stay tuned...

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Looks tidy enough and at least it's a hardtop so no convertible roof gremlins to worry about.

Hope it works out well. The 350 is quite a pleasant ride. Not a 63 (and we have or at least had) both, but quick enough for most.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^ Agreed,,,also 2009 is well after the balance shaft issue,,,and the transmission should be better as well....
good luck...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMG body pack too...
^^ Agreed,,,also 2009 is well after the balance shaft issue,,,and the transmission should be better as well....
good luck...
Looks tidy enough and at least it's a hardtop so no convertible roof gremlins to worry about.

Hope it works out well. The 350 is quite a pleasant ride. Not a 63 (and we have or at least had) both, but quick enough for most.
Thanks guys! Working on getting it here from Houston - more as soon as I can tear into it!

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
AMG body pack too...
'Cept the front bumper - no little slash vents on the sides.

I happen to have one of those for sale, needing a good rub-down a bit of bondo and a respray, but no splits or cracks, doesn't have the parking sensor holes....

And in Houston too.

This is a stock internet photo BTW, my CLK63 is black.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'll have a long list of issues to deal with once I get the care here.

'Cept the front bumper - no little slash vents on the sides.

I happen to have one of those for sale, needing a good rub-down a bit of bondo and a respray, but no splits or cracks, doesn't have the parking sensor holes....

And in Houston too.

This is a stock internet photo BTW, my CLK63 is black.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I'll keep it in mind, but I think I'll have a long list of issues to deal with once I get the care here.
Strongly suggest that if you haven't got one already you buy yourself something like an iCarSoft MB-II scanner. You'll also need a set of Torx allen keys, male and female torx sockets.

Anything to do with MAFs, O2 sensors, etc. bear in mind the thermostats, or rather the temperature sensors fixed within them, have a habit of failing, especially if the car's been parked up a while, leading to all sorts of spurious fault codes as that temperature sensor is what the ECU uses to determine engine temperature and therefore how much fuel the injectors should be injecting for any given foot on the gas pedal position. if that doesn't correlate with what it sees from the )2 sensors in the tailpipe it senses something's wrong and often reports it as the O2 sensors and / or catalyst when it's actually the temperature sensor in the thermostat causing the problems

Ignition coils can go too. There's one coil on top each spark plug. If you've got a bad one you could just replace that one, but they often fail in rapid succession one after the other. It's old age, nothing more.

Thermostat, MAF, camshaft position sensors and coils are all easy driveway DIY jobs. O2 sensors (if they really need doing) should be do-able too, you'll just need jackstands to get under the car. A low profile hydraulic jack helps. Crankshaft position sensor is a pig I am told, however.

The serpentine belts and / or pulleys can fail from 45k miles and up, and it's worth checking both the idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley for "notchy" turning or excessive along-the-shaft or radial movement when you do the belt.

Other than that on the hardtops there aren't really that many things that go wrong other than mileage related wear and tear / old age.

CLKs are notoriously hard on tires too.

Get to know www.genuinemercedesparts.com and www.autohausaz.com if you don't already.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jag!

Strongly suggest that if you haven't got one already you (...)

Get to know www.genuinemercedesparts.com and www.autohausaz.com if you don't already.
Hey Jag, thanks for the tips! Not sure what the deal is with this car, it looks to have been chick owned, so it's been neglected for sure. I expect to at the least replace the coils, plugs, and now pulleys and serp. belt. And of course getting all the fluids changed out and the maintenance up to date.

Am interested in getting a appropriate scanner. Have heard about iCarcoft and Autel, as well as used Star scanners. I'll spend $ for a good value. Also want one that'll work with my Volvos and other cars. Anyone with constructive thoughts on what to buy are welcome.

For parts, I have been using eeuroparts and fcpeuro. Both have forever guarantees on their stuff - including plugs, filters, and fluids (!) Will bookmark www.genuinemercedesparts.com and www.autohausaz.com

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the coils or plugs unless they give trouble. My wife's 350 had 105K miles on her original plugs before the parked the thing in a hole on a construction site and sent it off to the great parking lot in the sky. The coils only got done, by me, probably because I was trying to eradicate false indications from the thermostat.

I just changed all the fluids on my 63. With the possible exception of the transmission, which is really a shop job unless you're a very good home mechanic, it's easy enough and don't be fooled into thinking you need genuine "made from fresh, gathered under the light of a harvest moon virgin unicorn pee" anti-freeze etc. any more than you need fresh German mountain air for your tires! Plenty of advice here on AutoZone type equivalents.

The iCarsoft MB-II is tuned for Mercedes but any of the higher end Autels will probably do just as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's here - sort of

Well, the trailer showed up today w/ the CLK. Only problem is that the key is still in Houston!!!

They are fedexing the key overnight, but boy, I gotta say, stay away from Copart in Houston. They are nice people, but they make a LOT of mistakes. -_-

With that said, the car looks good. I thought there was a dent on the driver's side C-pillar, but fortunately that was a reflection, and the pillar is straight. The Left front fender looks that it was dented just behind the headlight and inexpertly pounded out. Much easier to deal with IMHO than the C-pillar.

We pulled the dead battery and I put it on a charge. It did not need any acid/distilled water, so I'm hoping I can revive it enough to work to unlock the steering wheel and transmission when the key appears Wednesday.

Windows were open a couple of inches, so the interior is dirty. It's a leather interior, and the seats / door panels, etc look OK. Obviously they will get a thorough cleaning.

Rotors are rusted to hell so new brakes all around, and I've never seen the wheels so scratched up in my life. New/used AMG wheels and new tires for sure. Wonder what my options are there?

I'm putting this in a google photos album. Photos below. Enjoy!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/av3kqnJuGCqQvnnn6

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
^ Going rate is about $200 a rim for repair and re-powder-coat. You have the option, of course, to have them coated in a different color if you like. If you can get a set of rims cheap on Fleabay or wherever, go for it, but remember the front and rears are different sizes, and different sizes again should you be lucky enough to find a set of kosher AMG ones.

Other than that for a used car of this age it looks pretty good!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Jag, I found a set that's priced OK, doing final checks on the sizes. wheel-size.com is a great site :)

They are not AMGs but that's not important to me. And it's a 350, so it's not like they are going to be highly stressed.

The car looks good from 10 feet away, but it's really been neglected. Leather is in good shape, has a couple of small blemishes, but no cuts. Some plastic pieces need replacement inside. Left front fender was dented - looks like someone brushed a bollard - and inexpertly pounded out. You can see the side marker is gone. I'm going to get a used silver fender and see if it needs a paint match. Have a shop that works with me for bodywork. Front fenderwells are torn up - external temp sensor is broken - wiring dangling on right front wheelwell - shows 185 degrees.

So lots of little things, but if it was owned by someone who can't wrench, it's overwhelming. It was definitely girl owned - bits of girlie chatchkas found in the interior.

I'm not even going to start the thing until I get the oil changed and the gas tank drained and refilled with fresh gas. And brake rotors + pads are on order. So she'll be a garage queen at least through June.

Now if I could only get the key issue straightened out...

^ Going rate is about $200 a rim for repair and re-powder-coat. You have the option, of course, to have them coated in a different color if you like. If you can get a set of rims cheap on Fleabay or wherever, go for it, but remember the front and rears are different sizes, and different sizes again should you be lucky enough to find a set of kosher AMG ones.

Other than that for a used car of this age it looks pretty good!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today's festivities (5/18/19)

Got the CLK in the driveway with the help of some tire skates and my terrific neighbors.

One thing happened. As we were pushing up my sloped driveway, neighbor wifey says 'I'll hold the car!', and stomps the parking brake. Of course, the release handle was disconnected. Fortunately the cable was OK, and that was my first official fix on the car.

Pulled out the ashtray and the climate controls practically fell out, courtesy of broken mounts and some crappy wrenching by the previous owner (PO). Oh, well, found a replacement on eBay for $35. Did a first pass clean on the interior and it's shaping up. Center console leather is worn. Will replace later.

Cleaned the engine covers and a bit of the radiator support. Also pulled out the battery and removed, de-rusted, and painted the battery tray. Found a really crappy wiring 'fix' to what looks like the knock sensor. Sheesh, my dog could do better

And the hood struts took a dump, so they get replaced too.

Went to the local MBZ Dealer (MBZ of Laguna Niguel) and ordered a ignition key that will actually work. They can either have a tech come to me for $95, or I can tow the car up there. Honestly, I'm still uneasy about having the CLK public, so I'll need to think about it.

Brakes have been ordered and a bunch of other incidentals. Probably won't be able to get the the car this week, but I've seen enough to know it's not a lost cause. It'll probably languish in the garage for a few days while I doo other things.

Oh, the center vent is sticky. I've seen this on other CLKs. Anyone have a good way to clean this, or should I just use Gasoline (just kidding) https://photos.app.goo.gl/N2JJ4Q1kZ2c5MJvEA

Photos here, enjoy: https://photos.app.goo.gl/av3kqnJuGCqQvnnn6

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Good work...well done..
To clean the centre vent area , just dab a cloth into a suitable solvent and carefully wipe it on a clean it off,,,I think I used mineral turps on mine.
Then clean with soapy water ,,clean water,,,and then Armorall or similar plastic treatment.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for keeping us posted. What did she cost you at auction?
I think the real question is how much my total cost will be to get her on the road :)

We're still in the air on that, but I think June we'll know what's what.

Good work...well done..
To clean the centre vent area , just dab a cloth into a suitable solvent and carefully wipe it on a clean it off,,,I think I used mineral turps on mine.
Then clean with soapy water ,,clean water,,,and then Armorall or similar plastic treatment.
Thanks Benzyle!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rut roh!

Got a new key from the local MBZ dealer today, and - it didn't work!

Did not turn in the dash, and the car alarm went off.

So now I have 2 new keys and a CLK that will not go.

Yikes!

PS: The hard key inside the fob turns the trunk latch but the trunk does not open. I assume that the lock cylinder actuates an electrical solenoid? It did work the door lock.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,703 Posts
To open the trunk with the hard key, you have to turn it in the lock AND THEN pull the handle:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To open the trunk with the hard key, you have to turn it in the lock AND THEN pull the handle:

That worked! No dead body, just a bag of old newspapers. Spare tire, jack ,and tow hook in place. Fuse box in the trunk was opened, which tells me someone was screwing around with the car and failed to find the issue.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
9 Participants
rudeney
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing