Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe the ML bug is stinging me without me even knowing. All of a sudden since about 2 weeks ago my trip computer is telling me that my truck, a 05 500, is very good on gas. On a typical highway cruise, the thing sits mostly on 18mpg. Lately (ever since I hit about 20.6 from my NY ski trip - and I was extremely careful during that drive, BTW!!!), I'm at 19, 19.7 20 20.1 - on same roads, driving the same (I think) wow, this is good!!! I wonder what it is that I'm doing right or is the darn thing broke? Typically, I'm about 1-1.5mpg below what the computer says, but what a feeling!!!

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430 and 2003 ML55
2,274 Posts
figure out your mileage the old fashioned way.

1.Fill the tank all the way..override the cutoff.

2.Reset trip odometer to 0.00.

3.Drive as you would normally for 200-300 miles or until the fuel reserve light comes on.

4. Go back to the same gas station/same pump and refill once again overriding cutoff until full.

5.Divide miles driven on trip odometer by gallons used according to pump ...voila ....average MPG.

Do this every time you fill up and try to use same station/same pump. Compare this to what your onboard computer says and then you can determine its accuracy.

On my 99 ML430..the computer is very accurate and I sometimes use the kilometers remaining for piece of mind till I can fill up...haven't run out of gas yet...

By the way....my average is about 19 mpg....most interstate driving , but I have gotten as high as 23MPG. Driving habits and tire pressures make huge differences.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz ML350 MY 2008
128 Posts
Darkmann
Me too I was surprised the other day during trip from Toronto to Ottawa about 431KM (approx 269 Miles). I averaged about 22MPG on ML 430 while specs says 15 mpg / 19 mpg (City/Highway).

But the thing is I used cruise control for almost 90% of my driving and my speed was set at approx 75Miles/Hour (120KM/hr)... boring drive! [:D]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts