Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a funny buzzing noise from the right side of the engine. 1972SL350 came by to help. Pulled the valve cover.

Everything looked good except for these obvious issues. We found the piece that came out of the cam. It crumbled on handling.

What do you think?

Time for new cams? If so, where to buy?

These two nicks look like a chain tensioner is hitting, but the rail in there now looks fine. Seen this before?

Never found the buzz. Did not happen after 1972SL350 arrived.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,836 Posts
Since the tensioner is oil pressure based, I wonder if revving the engine as soon as I've started the car caused extra chain slap.

This might explain why it looks like only my passenger side cam has been replaced on my car. Maybe the same thing happened to mine.

Thanks for posting!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,599 Posts
Have you had the 0 oil pressure problem again? That could have caused the damage. Tensioner loosing pressure could cause the rail to hit I guess and maybe even the cam damage.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you had the 0 oil pressure problem again? That could have caused the damage. Tensioner loosing pressure could cause the rail to hit I guess and maybe even the cam damage.
The oil pressure problem has not recurred since just south of Cortez, CO, some 2500 miles ago. I am willing to say the car never ran more than 10 sec with depressed oil pressure. Usually not 0, more often about 15.

In any event, any recommendations? Especially about where to buy new cams? Replacement is a given. Oiler fittings too. Everything else looks extraordinarily clean.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes!

Prices are ugly. Heard a recommendation that rockers be replaced as well. $66 each. Not sure I need to replace them all, what do you think? Cam - about $380 each.

Think I'll be doing a very close inspection of the other side before I assume it would be a good idea to do it as well. Maybe not so much.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,599 Posts
That was the price for 1 rocker? :eek: When I read the description "rockers" I thought set. Oh my that is crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts