Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked my car at an underground car park in Geneva yesterday, and saw a 200 in the car park.

So I go up to it, and see that the rear has been stripped of the 'SLK 200' badge, and '///AMG' had been added to the right hand side.

Ok, so he had the AMG body kit, but personally I would have left the SLK 200 badge there with the ///AMG one, or no ///AMG badge at all *shrug*

Would have parked mine next to it if there was space, because when I came to pick up my car, the other one had left...

Oh well...

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Shinigami - 4/10/2005 6:59 AM

Parked my car at an underground car park in Geneva yesterday, and saw a 200 in the car park.

So I go up to it, and see that the rear has been stripped of the 'SLK 200' badge, and '///AMG' had been added to the right hand side.

Ok, so he had the AMG body kit, but personally I would have left the SLK 200 badge there with the ///AMG one, or no ///AMG badge at all *shrug*

Would have parked mine next to it if there was space, because when I came to pick up my car, the other one had left...

Oh well...
Debadge your car to a 200 and that would really be news.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Haha! How sad! It's a shame he wasn't there when you were- the embarassment on his face after looking at your car would have been quite a kodak moment! I've seen a few de-badged cars too- a C23 AMG and recently an SLK20. I think I'm too self conscious to stick false badges on my car-the guilt would get to me after a while![|)]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
I debadge many of my cars, because I like the look and it makes them a bit special. Most recently I debadged the 3-liter Z4 that I'll be turning in on Monday. Took the Z4 off the back, and the 3.0 off the sides. Since that's the high-end Z4, it's not like it was a matter of shame.

I don't know what I'll do with the SLK when it arrives, hopefully this month. I'm sure, though, that I won't add badges to it: that would not be my way. I can imagine that I might take off the "slk 350" and leave on the star.

I hope no one will sue me over it. [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Removing badges to give a cleaner look is fine. Adding badges to make a car look as if it's a more deluxe model is tacky.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have debadged many a vehicle in my day. My current Dodge truck has none. People always pull up trying to figure what it is etc, or if is a gas or an oil burner. Our car is a SLK 350 with the AMG package. My wife liked the look with the AMG badge on the rear. So we added the rear spoiler and the AMG Badge to the right rear. The spoiler looks great and does a lot for the rear of the car completing the right look in my opinion. The AMG badge balances our the rear of the car well and just looks right. It was add the AMG badge or remover the SLK 350 for a clean look. She wanted the AMG Badge and it was a good call, it just loooks right. Besides she has the AMG package anyway. The only thing is the quad exhaust which I think looks lame. I never liked it my Zo6 either. If you got duals all you need is 2 pipes. Why add two lame want a be pipes for show and extra weight that do nothing. But if it is louder then that is a different story.

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
xJaguar:

You sir are an imposter[:)] But who cares, you paid enough for the car to do whatever you want. Enjoy.

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
xJagman - 4/10/2005 3:05 PM

I have debadged many a vehicle in my day. My current Dodge truck has none. People always pull up trying to figure what it is etc, or if is a gas or an oil burner. Our car is a SLK 350 with the AMG package. My wife liked the look with the AMG badge on the rear. So we added the rear spoiler and the AMG Badge to the right rear. The spoiler looks great and does a lot for the rear of the car completing the right look in my opinion. The AMG badge balances our the rear of the car well and just looks right. It was add the AMG badge or remover the SLK 350 for a clean look. She wanted the AMG Badge and it was a good call, it just loooks right. Besides she has the AMG package anyway. The only thing is the quad exhaust which I think looks lame. I never liked it my Zo6 either. If you got duals all you need is 2 pipes. Why add two lame want a be pipes for show and extra weight that do nothing. But if it is louder then that is a different story.
Man adds AMG badge -who cares. Man removes AMG badge, that's news.

·
Registered
C5Z, 911 & F355
104 Posts
Duo-Art - 4/10/2005 11:08 AM

Removing badges to give a cleaner look is fine. Adding badges to make a car look as if it's a more deluxe model is tacky.

100% Correct !!!

I think Wannabees Lack Class [:(]

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
Been debadging cars for past 15 years. Just cleaner. I debadged a 911 C4S, an M3, and my new SLK 350. (Myabe I'll rebadge it as a Ferrari.. LOL)... who cares..............

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's their car, they can do what they want with it [;)]

But IMO, the AMG badge should only go on a car when the engine is an AMG. Body kit is not enough. But this is just my opinion.

Also, giving people the impression that the car is an AMG, yet performs poorly is bad for the image :\ (i.e. during a race, etc...)

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
67 Posts
It could be worse. It's not uncommon to see a Nissan with Mugen decals on it or a Toyota with RallyArt stickers, at least this guy has the right branding.

Mind you, someone could to start a trend and put Alpina decals all over there car and see how that goes...[:0]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not quite sure what the big deal is. Surely the AMG badge only refers to the AMG bodykit, cos if you were really trying to pretend it was an AMG, then you'd put on the 55 AMG badge?? In THAT case, I'd think it was a bit sad, but I see no harm on putting on the AMG badge that comes with the bodykit.

Just my opinion!

Angela

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I saw an R171 in a local garage, a 200 with standard wheels and non metallic red paint, no options that I could see, and a 350 badge! Must have scraped together the price for the 200, and wanted the prestige of a 350, but didnt make too much effort. for me it downgrades the point of badges, if it is a 200, MB should badge it as a 200 or not bother with badges because they are only a hint at what the car might be.

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
You chaps have obviously not seen the SLK55 //AMG 4Matic in my area. [:D][:D][:D]

I know, I did a double take as well when I saw it!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha [:D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts