Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I said in Scott's SL farewell thread:

I have got to tell ya, I drove nobby's machine three weeks ago, and while it may not have the grunt of my 560, it is a shit-ton of fun... I would very seriously consider giving mine up for something along the same line.

There is NOTHING like a straight six breathing heavily through a manual tranny.

Of course there is NOTHING like a great V8, too...
So...

I have been working on this decision for sometime now, and I didn't want to say anything to you guys until I was sure.

Well now, I am sure.

So, read on for the tale.

I have been driving Penny for two seasons now, and just put her away last week, because I am sick of driving on stabilizer. I also own a Golf that looks a lot like nobby's except it's a more agricultural VW...

I have been running around in said 2003 Golf TDI for about three and a half years now, as I got my Real Estate practice off the ground, and it has been a great car, I love it so much that I really don't want to sell it. Yet, a car swap is a must, I deal with high end clients from time to time, and I expect more frequently as I continue forward in my business. I simply needed a better storefront, and I needed to do it without blowing a ton of cash. Plus, I can't drive Penny all year long.

So what's my solution?

After much deliberation, and research, I finally pulled the trigger today,

and... I bought a straight six MB!

It's not a manual, but it has all the rest of the qualities described above, it's a smooth revving inline six, it breathes heavily, cuz it's turbocharged, and it has the grunt of a great V8, cuz....

it's a diesel! :D

I bought a 2005 E320 CDI! :cool:

I love this thing, and I got a smokin' (get it?) good deal on it!

She has just shy of 400 lb-ft of torque, and believe me she kicks butt! She beats the sister W211 gasser in the 0-60 sprint, and I think will probably kick the SL too. Not 0-20, but there's very little lag and when you turn the ESP off, she'll easily spin the wheels.

Purchased it at the local MB dealer downtown, it was a trade-in, clearly a family car... it hadn't even been cleaned yet! I was probably one of the first to see it, I took it for a test drive... the thing could pull a house, and it is super smooth and quiet.

The owners had left some papers in the car, so I went home cooled off, tracked them down, had a chat with them. Veterinarians from a small town an hour and a half a way from Toronto. They clearly had no skin in the game, and I liked their candor about it's history, it fit with my detailed observations of the vehicle. So I went and looked at one more that I was interested in (going for $10G more), and pretty much made up my mind.

Iridium Silver over Black Artico interior, Bi-Xenon Headlamps, 120,000 kilometers, and not much else in the way of options, out the door taxes and everything included for a VERY reasonable...

price.

I snapped a picture while he/she was parked next to his/her half-sister, the Golf, just after my test drive, below, and Jim very kindly pulled the data card for me (thank you Jim), also attached below.

I should have him/her back home tomorrow afternoon, or Wednesday morning.

Oh, and one more thing, with respect to my beloved SL, Penny: she stays.

The Golf goes. ;)

I am tickled with my new ride. :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
and... I bought a straight six MB!

it's a diesel! :D

I bought a 2005 E320 CDI!
Congrats - That's a great car. But then I am partial to diesels.

I was looking at one while we were in SC last winter. I should have bought it! It was an 06 CDI with 32k miles for US$32k at MB dealer so included Starmark warranty (in USA only!)

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Congrats...

You must not have kids... close to driving age, or the golf would stay!

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes-Benz 560 SL
973 Posts
Great choice, CC. And very similar to what's in my stable...one reliable, fairly economical, classy, low-maintenance, more-than-just competent five-passenger tourer; complementing the exhilarating--though more financially demanding--summer weekend classic supercar.

Great choice, indeed, bud. :thumbsup:

Good road

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,228 Posts
Great choice. The newer diesels are staring to really make some good HP. Very practical cars these days. I tried to get my wife one in 06 but there weren't any available so she has the Altima.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Congrats...

You must not have kids... close to driving age, or the golf would stay!
Funny you should say that, the previous owners that I got in touch with, said that they wouldn't have even started this process of trading in for a newer one, and would have kept this one if it wasn't for the end of the Extended Warranty (there's still one year left on the power train), and the fact that they had a sixteen year old daughter coming up to drive. So they got the Mom a Honda Fit, and Pops got a 2007 Bluetec W211.

And you're right, I don't have kids. :surrender:

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great choice, CC. And very similar to what's in my stable...one reliable, fairly economical, classy, low-maintenance, more-than-just competent five-passenger tourer; complementing the exhilarating--though more financially demanding--summer weekend classic supercar.

Great choice, indeed, bud. :thumbsup:

Good road
Yeah, I'm pretty pleased... thanks for the props guys...

Darn though, I was hoping the thread was misleading at first and I would get more of a sandbagged reaction!

All in good fun of course!

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,357 Posts
I was stunned and speechless when I read the title.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,569 Posts
I was duped for sure by the title. But I should have known. SLs are saleproof, right? Or was that SLC? :) I'm certainly happy to see not only did you not sell your SL, but you bought a ~2005 E series. We've got two kids, and my wife is starting to see the benefits of having a 3rd row seat car... and I want to get a rear-facing 3rd row. She hates minivans. So you know where I'm going. I want an E series wagon. It looks like we could get a 70-80k mile 2004-2005 for the $15-17k range... but I haven't seen an diesels. I haven't done enough research

Friends of ours (who are like foster grandparents to our kids because their kids and grandchildren live in California) have a late model (but not purchased new) E series diesel sedan, and it certainly is one sweet ride, and they claim to get over 30 mpg highway too.

I'm envious. :)

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was duped for sure by the title. But I should have known. SLs are saleproof, right? Or was that SLC? :) I'm certainly happy to see not only did you not sell your SL, but you bought a ~2005 E series. We've got two kids, and my wife is starting to see the benefits of having a 3rd row seat car... and I want to get a rear-facing 3rd row. She hates minivans. So you know where I'm going. I want an E series wagon. It looks like we could get a 70-80k mile 2004-2005 for the $15-17k range... but I haven't seen an diesels. I haven't done enough research

Friends of ours (who are like foster grandparents to our kids because their kids and grandchildren live in California) have a late model (but not purchased new) E series diesel sedan, and it certainly is one sweet ride, and they claim to get over 30 mpg highway too.

I'm envious. :)
I'm banking on 40 mpg on the highway with a reasonable foot, 30 with some aggression added.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,569 Posts
I'm banking on 40 mpg on the highway with a reasonable foot, 30 with some aggression added.
Enjoy it! Add lots of aggression! Do you really need that extra 10 MPG?

Would you ever drive your SL if you needed all those MPG?

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So went down dropped the cheque off today, it's paid in full now. It's all cleaned up from the prior family's use, and looks great.

I'll pick it up Thursday after the winter tires have been installed, balanced and aligned.

I'll post up some more pictures then... all in all though, I would say that I am pleased.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Well you didn't fool me.

I know Penny's background.

The question is, whadya doing with the Ford, now?

And was mrelbe's purchase the kick in the ass you needed?

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well you didn't fool me.

I know Penny's background.

The question is, whadya doing with the Ford, now?

And was mrelbe's purchase the kick in the ass you needed?
Nope, as I said, I had been digesting this for sometime, I even mentioned it to you at your place when I was out there...

But the timing coincident was noticed...

It did make me think I should dig a little further into the US aspect of my choices, but I wasn't seeing a lot that made going through that process worth it again...

Anyhow, it's worked out good, I wish I'd seen mrelbe's car, but I will next time!

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I gotta say our forum is a lot more active than the 211 forum.

I've been over there a lot, and not a lot of banter goes on...

1 - 20 of 97 Posts