Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure you saw the earlier post about me buying a 88 560SEL. had a long discussion with my wife and well long story short i cant keep the 300SEL. I had to pick between the two and i always wanted a 560. maybe i am wrong(which i have been several times) but thats what i am going to do. So i need to let go of the 300SEL. I dont want to...i love this car. Car is in great shape. Paint is ok for this car thats 25 years or so old. I drive it every day and it has 91,900 miles on it. I have spent over 2000$ on it making it almost perfect. interior is like new. you can search for my posts and see my issues.
So how much do i want for it...more importantly i want it to be loved like i do. so i would like her to stay with someone on this board.
i think i will get more if i sell it outside this board but I would like to get 2000$ for it, which is what i have spent on it fixing it. I am going to advertise it for 4000$ but i would rather have someone from this board have it.
so what i have changed

1. plugs
2.distributor, rotor, wires, plugs, vacuum line (most of them)
3. Crankshaft bearings
4. New Cold steel camshaft
5. Rockers from a 91.
6. Valve cover gaskets
7. Oil pan gasket.
8. Transmission mount.
9. Transmission filter and oil.
10. Oil changes of course.
11. EHA
12. Fuel Injectors (all of them)
13. Fuel Filter
14. Fuel Pump.
15. Thermostat.
16. Engine Temp Sensor
17. Coolant Flushed.
18. Mono valve. Still has the heat issue. needs new monovalve or magnet.
19. New rebuilt power steering and high pressure hose. i dont know how to get this one on right. still has a small drip. very small but its there.

i will post pictures later this afternoon. Truly sad to even post this....(hopefully no one buys it and i am "stuck" with it):D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car looks good. Any reason why it wouldnt make the drive to nasty Minnesota? Also, may be a pic of the drive's seat?
I have not driven her that long of a distance. the longest i drove is for 7 hours. but no, there are no issues that i know of. i listed the issues that i have before.
wait till you see all the pix before u make up your mind. the headliner is perfect. as if it came out of the factory. the drivers seat has a scuff on the side where you enter...due to it being used. otherwise no other imperfections.
Sunroof is perfect. no leaks.
Tires are good. enough tread on them. all of the same brand.
idles perfect. 19 to 21 mpg on highway. not bad for a beast.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Tis another sad day when a W126 owner has to part with his/her beloved ride. Fizz, it's hard to decide but you are choosing the one you want more, the 560, of the two. Just from the pics you posted I'd say it's between 3-4000. The normal wear items are expected from use :thumbsup: Maybe you can talk her into keeping it as a spare ride

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tis another sad day when a W126 owner has to part with his/her beloved ride. Fizz, it's hard to decide but you are choosing the one you want more, the 560, of the two. Just from the pics you posted I'd say it's between 3-4000. The normal wear items are expected from use :thumbsup: Maybe you can talk her into keeping it as a spare ride
As much as i like to blame my wife. she is right. her bigger concern was lack of use and leaving it outside. it would ruin it. i have learnt that these cars are best when driven and taken care of. so didnt want her to sit and die. i like her way too much to see that happen. i dont like to sell it to to some hack from craigslist who would basically destroy it. lets see what happens. things have a way of working out.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
As much as i like to blame my wife. she is right. her bigger concern was lack of use and leaving it outside. it would ruin it. i have learnt that these cars are best when driven and taken care of. so didnt want her to sit and die. i like her way too much to see that happen. i dont like to sell it to to some hack from craigslist who would basically destroy it. lets see what happens. things have a way of working out.
Yea, that's why I have been giving some serious thought about selling my SE and use those funds + and find a decent SEC to take it's place

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
For that money it would make a fantastic Winter car. Storage would be the only problem. I converted my perfect 300SEL to a Winter car and now after many winters with salt and snow etc., it is a bit rusty and dogeared. But, it is sure nice to roll down the hoghway with 4 studded snows and a bunch of sand in the trunk and not care how much salt or ice or what not covers it. In a couple of weeks it will get a good washing and into the warehouse for another year.

You're gonna hate taking that 560 out in the snow (even though Rock Hill doesn't get much).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts