Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I've been searching high and low for detailed info on how the ADS system (Adaptive Damping System) works. I've found general descriptions on how it operates, but there is just nothing specific out there on the web. Do any of you subscribe to a MB magazine of some sort? Do these publications get into the technical details of complex systems? I'm trying to find info on how to test the damping valves for proper functioning, as well as the specifics of the signals generated by the system that are sent to the valves. I am also trying to find out how to check condition of the front shocks. In the "old days", one simply pushed down on the corners of the car, started the car bouncing, and watched how quickly the shocks stabilized the car. If it bounced too many times, it was time to change the shocks. I don't want to buy new shocks ($625 each is cheapest I found) if I don't need them. I'm still not happy with the ride of the car. Some days the car rides smooth, other days it's too firm. Pressure reservoirs (accumulators) were changed last year. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The 140 CD (DVD) goes into some of it. The sysem hinges in the ADS computer and all those sensors they have spread around. There is a lateral acceleration sensor, steering angle sensor,load sensor. The ADS control unit sends signals to the front shocks that have externally mounted solenoids to control fluid flow, in the rear they are in series with the spheres and hydraulic struts, and the dash switch sets your preference as to comfort/sport. They go into great detail about "hammering" near any sensor,the firm ride default, I thing you need a body comuter to read any codes stored in the ADS module. If you work on your 140 get the CD for a few hundred for MB, there is little info and the Mercedes mag (STAR) never covered it at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I happen to owned two MB that has the ADS system (very rare), my 93 600SEl which rides too firm, system is in default firm mode, and a 91 500SL which rides perfectly.

Even though my garage cleared all the codes it still rides firm, dont know where to look next. NOt sure if changing rear spheres will help.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Spheres only affect the rear, if it is stiff all over it probably is the controller... they should be able to read codes if defective.. but it could be as minor as the dash switch but my Mercedes experience always negates those easy fixes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
They did check the codes, it had some regarding "position sensor", we cleared them, test drove teh car, then check codes again and nothing came up.

-rear of car sits very high
-front end shocks are stiff too
-switch on dash works, light goes on and off

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
You subscribe to alldatadiy.com, right? My subscription for my 97 model

S600 shows this.

May be different for 95. Looks like it would be a full day of diagnostics with a multimeter to run all these tests. There are 16 or so pages like the lower window. And for almost every one, the possible causes are wiring (in other words, impossible to find the real problem) or ADS control module (in other words, you can't fix it). I think the numbers in the second column (under what looks like a voltmeter) are trouble codes read by their proprietary diagnostics computer.

Brett

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: You subscribe to alldatadiy.com, right? My subscription for my 97 model

Now that's a diagram I can work with. What search text did you use to find that Brett? I'm not coming up with anything for my year (95).

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Here's what my screen looks like. Left pane shows

the topics to click through.

I see that it seems to call the ADS system ADS II. Maybe this is updated from model year 1995, and this info doesn't apply. I have no idea.

Brett

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a bunch Brett. I'll try searching in Alldata again armed with your info. I'll see what I can find.

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
more details about ADS

I did not find that when I looked..
would be helpful to know..
you might be aware that there was a service bulletin about updating the software.. so I think it might be a ??prom..and that you might be able to reprogram yours..

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
details about ADS

So I have this friend who works as a teky at the local stealers.. met him out drinking sat night .. I tried to pump him for some info on ADS .. not a lot of joy .. BUT he did say that I need to make sure my Front wheels are in perfect balance.. otherwise system will not work properly..Seems it is very sensitive to vibration and if your wheels are not right it just shuts itself down..he said it can't differentiate between that and the road input from the shocks..
Try get your wheels done and give it a few miles to sort itself out..

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your input. Brett, I was able to find lots of stuff in Alldata for my vehicle using the path you listed. Some good trouble-shooting stuff in there. JNLeChevet states that ADSII came out in 1995. I'm not sure if my system is ADS or ADSII. One of the things that confused me during my attempt to pull codes was that there were no fault codes present. A little research discovered that the scanner I'm using won't work with the ADS in a 95 model. It is an analog system, not digital. So, I pulled out my handy dandy home-made blinker and Jim F's code manual, and found that there were some fault codes present. Codes say I have a faulty comfort / sport switch (I doubt that), as well as a faulty vehicle load sensor. I have to figure out where that is, Alldata doesn't return any hits on this item. Anyway, thanks again to all of you for your help. I'll get this damn thing riding smooth if it's the last thing I do.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MY 92 manual says "the vehicle load sensor (N51/1) is located between the leveling valve and the left rear pressure reservoir" and sends a signal to the ADS control (N51) indicating the load.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
I rarely use the search function in alldatadiy.com. I just get lost clicking around

and often come across some useful nuggets. Only problem is I sometimes have problem finding them again.

good luck,
Brett

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True. The sensor would have to be in the loadpath. I'm going to do some crawling around under the car to see what I can see.

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I just spent a nice evening here in cold miserable wet Chicago under the Benz looking for that vehicle load sensor. There isn't anything down there that looks like a sensor. I looked between the leveling valve and both pressure spheres...nothing. I traced all the high pressure lines and found nothing sensor-like. Either I'm blind, or there isn't one on this car. Or, it's in a completely different place. It seems that if I get a faulty vehicle load sensor code, there should be one on the car. One thing casts doubt on this diagnosis. I'm using Jim F's code manual, and the years these codes cover for model 140.057 are 1991-1994. There are no codes listed specifically for 1995, which is the year of my car. There is a separate listing for models 129.067 and 129.076 for 1991-1995. So maybe the code I'm reading isn't for a faulty vehicle load sensor? Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Did you clear the codes?
Information is that if the fronts are not correcty ballaced the system will go to default.. that is hard..I will try to find the info for the sensor for you.. I have to go to my stealers this afternoon .. I will ask my friendly tecky..(oxymoron there)

1 - 20 of 122 Posts