Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Astral Silver 560SL
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing the seal around the flange of the covertible storage compartment and I came across a shocker....rust. It's it the same place along the flange seal channel on both sides up towards the front of the convertible compartment.

Both areas are about the size of quarter to half dollar, and is going to involve a cut out a weld job. ...crap.

Now I'm concerned about the windshield frame and heater box. I guess I'll be digging into it now.

As much as I'd like to learn welding....going to have to hire this one out.

check those weather seals....

Tips, ideas, or condolences welcome....

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
All I can offer are condolences. It could have been alot worse. I found a ton of surface rust under my top windshield frame when I repladced the leaking glass.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
My condolences.

I am not sure about the area you are talking about ( being a member without portfolio or R107, at this point), but you may consider metal bonding with a product like this:

LORD Corporation - Fusor® 108B/109B Metal Bonding Adhesive (Medium)

I have used quite a bit of this on my W123s over the last 8 years with very good results, as long as you cut the rust back to white metal and follow directions. Could make more sense than welding in delicate areas. FWIW YMMV.

Rick

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,211 Posts
I was replacing the seal around the flange of the covertible storage compartment and I came across a shocker....rust. It's it the same place along the flange seal channel on both sides up towards the front of the convertible compartment.

Both areas are about the size of quarter to half dollar, and is going to involve a cut out a weld job. ...crap.

Now I'm concerned about the windshield frame and heater box. I guess I'll be digging into it now.

Pics. Why can't people post pics.

Common rust area, btw.

·
Registered
380SL (1981)
122 Posts
Condolences on the rust... I found a load on my "rust free" SL too where wheel arches meet rockers. Got it fixed now but it was a pain. +1 on pics please, not sure exactly where the area you describe is..

·
Registered
560SL,380SL,E350
4,232 Posts
FWIW, this is the ONLY spot on my 560SL where there was rust. I suspect poor seal maintenance caused it.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

this is the time to do some research and call around. a lot of blacksmiths or welders can do automotive work for a lot cheaper than a body shop. in cincinnati anything thats seen 3 winters will have a lot of surface rust. 3 years ago i found a guy to weld the frame for $50 all i did was remove the control arm in front of his garage. spent $550 on the car and sold it for $2000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts