1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E-24
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

1991 300E-24 (damaged in an accident):

I'm at the stage where I have cut out the front left damage to the inner fender, as well as cut out the damage to the front left headlight hanger. See pics below.

Anyone ever weld in pieces like this before? I have an arc welder, with 2.5mm rods, and have tested it on the pieces I have cut out -> works, but is quite messy in terms of the seam. The metal looks to be about 1 mm thick (very thin!). I would guees that I have to remove the rubber spray on stuff in the wheel well, so as to not start a fire, and to expose the metal surface better.

Anyway: what is the best way? MIG weld, TIG or braze? Also, should I leave overlap or butt the piece in?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!!!:D

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
As a welder for over 20 years I would say tig welding for the best control and strength of the weld and surrounding material. You can clear off less clean area also saving time and just scrape off whatever smoulders after you tack it all in place. I wouldnt suggest patches for reinforcement just make sure its welded whereever it touches, It wount be any stronger than it was before if you do. Than will just create an area that can rust from the inside out. Just mack sure you tack weld like you would put on a tire. Switching sides and tacks opposing each other so as to keep it straight. Let it cool also Dont want too much material warp of you have to peen the hell out of it after.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
Yes TIG would be ideal, MIG would be next, but if you will practice with 5/64 6011 rod and something like about 45 to 60, maybe 75 AMPS you can weld sheet metal with practice. In my poorer days I welded a LOT of sheet metal this way because it's all I had to work with.

DO NOT do your practicing on the car!!!!!! Get some scrap sheet metal of the thickness you will be welding and work on it until you can strike and hold an arc and run a bead at will. Remember, "scratch like a match, don't peck like a chicken."

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts