Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my cat/resonator... i went to go get some pipes....now ...the question is...should i plus/play the pipes from the down pipes to the muffler with some clams or should i weld them ? i bought somethings i dont know what they are called but they are about 4 inches big, you put half of one side of the pipe and the other half on the other side and then u clam them together...like a 'tunnel' sorta thing... now my question is...will i have drawbacks with this system over welding ? noise ? leaks ? etc ?

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
If you can, weld !! Those things you have will normally do the job, but are not intended for permanent pro-longed use and could eventually come loose and cause you headaches....but to answer your question, yes, they should do the job...for now.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Don't weld the system to the downpipes - you need to be able to remove the system easily if you need to work on the gearbox or propshaft. All MB systems come with connectors at every single point of the system, to enable you to remove or replace component parts with ease.

If you use proper connectors, you won't get any leakage and you can drop the entire exhaust system of the car within 15 minutes.

If you weld at that point, you'll have no option but to take your car to a tech/exhaust shop whenever you have to do some gearbox/drivetrain maintenance.

talbir

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guy's its finish !! Results : AWESOME!!!

Wit down pipes only = OMFG our cars sound insanely cool!! I drove the car to Santa Clara Univ. My friend wanted to see my car, how it sounded without muffler haha on my way there i had just about every car wanting to race me! I have never gotten so much attention - and people trying to race me ever! I had a vet/mac 1 (old school mustang)/ audi/golf/benz/camaro/firebirds/mustangs/bikes! trying to race me hahahah soooo coool, specialy at 6 k rpm sounded like a nascar car hahaha my friend with a SS 2002 with straight pipe..just hp muffler... my car sounded louder and nicer... haha he said hes going to cut his muffler because he loved the sound of my car ... haha in the parking garage- the car set off all the alarms haha sooo cool !

Anyways back on topic!

The project, if you guys want to do it :

-2 Inch pipe / 10 foot long from home depot
-Cut it in half and then cut it again depending on lenght.
-Cut from infront of Cat and right behind the resonators
-Measure lenght, and place it in
-I used cold welding ( can be purchased at napa)
- (3 feet) 1/8th inch wire from home depot with clams- to hold exhuast from left side suspensiuon arm.

Thtas about it. While i was at it i did an oil change. Total cost for parts was like40 bucks. Well worth it ! Car sounds nicer, runs alot cooler, and MORE HP !

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
danwatt said:
Uhm, are you saying you JB welded your exhaust together?
I welded the pipe to the muffler.. i had to..kinda dissapointed but oh well... I guess i have to cut it off 2 yers down the road..Cut it there and thats about it...its alrite since i have the cutting tools/welding machine...but its well worth the power you gain from it... no joke. My car seem like it hit a brick wall after 125, hahaha now well no comment ! I t seems like all that power that is restricted with the cat is up top...because the car just pulls and pulls!

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
f1crazydriver said:
I welded the pipe to the muffler.. i had to..kinda dissapointed but oh well... I guess i have to cut it off 2 yers down the road..Cut it there and thats about it...its alrite since i have the cutting tools/welding machine...but its well worth the power you gain from it... no joke. My car seem like it hit a brick wall after 125, hahaha now well no comment ! I t seems like all that power that is restricted with the cat is up top...because the car just pulls and pulls!

What about smog tests? Whatcha gunna do?

& where's the pic's that should b w/this thread???????

:D

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
MBZER said:
What about smog tests? Whatcha gunna do?

& where's the pic's that should b w/this thread???????

:D
the pics are here ! comming up in one second !

MBZER i passed smog :rollseyes: hahaha if you need help on how to let me know !

Okay me post pics of the new system tomorrow morning alrite guys?

·
Registered
500 SE EURO!
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
f1crazydriver said:
the pics are here ! comming up in one second !

MBZER i passed smog :rollseyes: hahaha if you need help on how to let me know !
Okay me post pics tomorrow of the new system on! for now enjoy this !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts