Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I requested this, I will start with a couple photos of my 2020 GLE 450. Arctic White, AMG Line Exterior & Interior, 21" AMG staggered wheels, E-ABC suspension, Panorama roof, Lighting Package, Technology Package, Parking Assistance Package, Premium Package, Burmester sound, Dinamica/MB-Tex upholstery, MB-Tex dash and door panels, open pore Black Flamed Ash trim. I've had the first of every generation of ML/GLE: '98, '06, '12 & now '20.

I ordered within hours of it opening up on NetStar 11-6-18; it finally arrived at the dealer 4-29-19. Production startup has been a mess for MBUSA Alabama, and communication has been poor for those with custom orders. But, it's a very nice vehicle. I've had a couple software-related issues that resulted in 14 days in the shop, but all seems to be good now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took delivery on an identical vehicle (except mine has sport wheels) yesterday. We ordered one two months ago, and the delivery date got pushed till the end of January, so we started looking again and bought from a different dealer. They just happened to have the exact car we ordered, with the exception of the 21" wheels. So far, the wife loves it, that's really all that matters. :)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took delivery on an identical vehicle (except mine has sport wheels) yesterday. We ordered one two months ago, and the delivery date got pushed till the end of January, so we started looking again and bought from a different dealer. They just happened to have the exact car we ordered, with the exception of the 21" wheels. So far, the wife loves it, that's really all that matters. :)
You got your priorities right! Except my wife does not really like the seat comfort. So yours has E-ABC as well? Those are rare in dealers' stock.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a new Dealer Order Guide just out today - finally not "preliminary" after 13 months!

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
First of all many thanks for starting this forum. Much appreciated. I placed an order for the GLE450 back in July of 2019 at a medium size MB dealer in Canton, Oh. and as of today (1/4/2020) I am still waiting for MB to provide the dealership with an allocation so the dealership can fill it with my order. Sad, but very true. I did receive a call from the regional manager for MB, a very nice woman, who apologized and basically told me I should have went to a larger MB dealership and placed my order. Simply put MB provides more slots to the larger dealers. That is very frustrating since I have an excellent working relationship with my dealer. 6 months and I still wait to hear that the order has been placed and is moving into a build phase.

I should not be forced to choose a dealership based on Mercedes allocation structure. An order is an order. I am a loyal owner (this will be my 4th Mercedes over the years) and feel I am held hostage by their process. I have kept quiet on the subject until now but 6 months with no movement from Mercedes (it is not the dealerships fault) is lousy customer service. I don't need the badge on my car that bad.

I suppose someone will respond and tell me my story doesn't make sense but I can guarantee you that everything I have stated is true. I am considering other brands now instead of waiting for MB. Volvo, Audi, and Lexus are now being considered.

Any one have any thoughts on this? Similar experiences? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were you I would do a search of dealers in a wider area. Going with your local is best, but if they can't get the goods, shipping one in (or going to pick it up) is no big deal. You should find many in inventory (though 350s are more plentiful) or find a dealer with an upcoming allocation slot. The good news is production seems to be smoothing out as they had horrendous parts issues the first 6 months or so, but the plant is also making the new GLS now and soon the GLE coupe.

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Greg thanks for the response. The issue is the build and package choices. I can find many vehicles with a load of options I do not care for nor want to spend money on. I am frustrated that I have to opt for leather when the MBTex in my current 2014 GL450 is perfect. I actually love the vehicle but don't need the extra space and appreciate some of the additional safety features that come with a 2020. One of our other vehicles is a Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription with all the safety bells and whistles, adaptive cruise, HUD, etc. I can see the benefits of these features. Actually if Volvo had the same quiet cabin as the GL and a little better ride it would be hard to argue for the new GLE. Sorry I slide off track there.

Anyway the issue is finding my build at a dealership. I don't need to spend money to spend money on options not needed.

Here is my build:

Exterior Color: Polar White
Interior Color: Macchiato Beige/Magma Grey leather

Packages
  • Premium Package
  • Warmth & Comfort Package
  • Driver Assistance Package PLUS
Options & Accessories
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Multi-contour front seats with massage feature
  • Heated 2nd-row seats
  • MBUX Augmented Video for Navigation
  • Front passenger seat memory
  • 64-color LED ambient lighting/illuminated door sills
  • Polar White
  • 21-inch twin 5-spoke
  • Illuminated running boards
  • Load Sill Guard, Chrome
  • Macchiato Beige/Magma Grey leather
  • Natural Grain Brown Walnut wood
  • Acoustic Comfort Package
  • Trailer hitch (Class III)
  • Surround View System
  • Speed Limit Assist
My dealership has been looking at the locator trying to find what I have outlined but nearly every choice has too many options or missing options. Yes I am whining but a dealership (which carries 6 total brands) should not be held hostage against other larger dealerships. It should be about the customer.

Lets use you Greg as the example. You have been a loyal and repeat customer of MB. You decide to go buy a new MB. You go to your mid-sized MB dealer you have been dealing with for years and order what you want. A month later you call for an update only to find out that your dealership, while of decent size, does not have an allocation slot and will likely not get one for some time period. You are frustrated but remain calm. At the 4 month window the owner calls you to say "Greg, the bad news continues. We still have no allocation and your order is still waiting to be submitted. I'm very sorry Greg". Finally you get a call from the Regional Sales Director and they tell you sorry. There are issues that range from too few GLE 450 builds to parts issues to larger dealerships get priority.

I wish the Audi was a tad more advanced in feature/function and look. I am also leaning towards the Volvo T6 XC60 and stepping down from the MB. The thing that brings me back is how quiet my GL450 is today.

All whining and probably lots of frustration.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I totally understand your frustration. Depending on your timeline, you should be able to find a dealer with a current or upcoming allocation. You can do your own stock check and get dealer contacts for allocations through CarGurus, Auto Trader & Cars.com.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greg thanks for the response. The issue is the build and package choices. I can find many vehicles with a load of options I do not care for nor want to spend money on. I am frustrated that I have to opt for leather when the MBTex in my current 2014 GL450 is perfect. I actually love the vehicle but don't need the extra space and appreciate some of the additional safety features that come with a 2020. One of our other vehicles is a Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription with all the safety bells and whistles, adaptive cruise, HUD, etc. I can see the benefits of these features. Actually if Volvo had the same quiet cabin as the GL and a little better ride it would be hard to argue for the new GLE. Sorry I slide off track there.

Anyway the issue is finding my build at a dealership. I don't need to spend money to spend money on options not needed.

Here is my build:

Exterior Color: Polar White
Interior Color: Macchiato Beige/Magma Grey leather

Packages
  • Premium Package
  • Warmth & Comfort Package
  • Driver Assistance Package PLUS
Options & Accessories
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Multi-contour front seats with massage feature
  • Heated 2nd-row seats
  • MBUX Augmented Video for Navigation
  • Front passenger seat memory
  • 64-color LED ambient lighting/illuminated door sills
  • Polar White
  • 21-inch twin 5-spoke
  • Illuminated running boards
  • Load Sill Guard, Chrome
  • Macchiato Beige/Magma Grey leather
  • Natural Grain Brown Walnut wood
  • Acoustic Comfort Package
  • Trailer hitch (Class III)
  • Surround View System
  • Speed Limit Assist
My dealership has been looking at the locator trying to find what I have outlined but nearly every choice has too many options or missing options. Yes I am whining but a dealership (which carries 6 total brands) should not be held hostage against other larger dealerships. It should be about the customer.

Lets use you Greg as the example. You have been a loyal and repeat customer of MB. You decide to go buy a new MB. You go to your mid-sized MB dealer you have been dealing with for years and order what you want. A month later you call for an update only to find out that your dealership, while of decent size, does not have an allocation slot and will likely not get one for some time period. You are frustrated but remain calm. At the 4 month window the owner calls you to say "Greg, the bad news continues. We still have no allocation and your order is still waiting to be submitted. I'm very sorry Greg". Finally you get a call from the Regional Sales Director and they tell you sorry. There are issues that range from too few GLE 450 builds to parts issues to larger dealerships get priority.

I wish the Audi was a tad more advanced in feature/function and look. I am also leaning towards the Volvo T6 XC60 and stepping down from the MB. The thing that brings me back is how quiet my GL450 is today.

All whining and probably lots of frustration.
We had the exact same frustration as you, we ordered a vehicle from a local dealer with 40 regional locations (not all MB). Production delay after production delay, claiming to only have so many slots, they have a ton of 350's with ugly color combos or essentially stripped down versions (why get a stripped down version of a luxury vehicle I'll never understand). We got frustrated, started looking around and another local, smaller dealer found what we wanted a few states away. We arranged the sale with them and have had the vehicle for a few weeks. If I were you I would start over, you may get lucky, one final note, the dealership we originally ordered from tried to keep our deposit, claiming they were going to to be "stuck" with the vehicle. We didn't sign anything acknowledging that (and would not have) so we got the deposit back. Good luck

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Krzyd - appreciate the insight and feedback....great info for not only myself but others...I plan to

A couple of notes to add.
  • have a great working relationship with the dealership
  • have bought other brands from them.
  • history with the dealer and trust established.
for these reasons I find it very difficult to look elsewhere however I did talk to a few other dealerships and am being told an order placed today would take 4-6 months for a 450. More frustrations.

Before I get back to the matter at hand I can't agree more with you about the insane number of GLE350's they build with ugly colors, options, etc. Of course it is just our opinions but through a sales person I know at a local MB dealership he shared that although the new GLE is in demand it is not unusual for a 350 to sit for awhile. He said most educated prior Mercedes owners coming in to consider the new GLE have either done their homework or take time to understand the differences such as how the larger engine in the 450 appears to make it quieter than the 350 and deliver a marked different in engine power (several YouTube videos call out this as well - not suggesting YouTube is the be all end all of reviews). Interestingly enough my decision for the 450 over the 350 was based on it being quieter. My wife also noted the differences and she, in many instances could care less about the vehicle or type provided it serves its main function.

Back to the matter at hand. I wan the options listed because I do not want to pay MB for toys I do not want. My dealer has been looking across the MB landscape and other dealers to find a close-to-my-build vehicle but has had no luck. He has called me several times with other choices but all seem to tip the 80K range. Even if I have the money to spend I don't want to spend just to spend. Again more whining.

I spoke to the MB District rep back on 10/30/2019 (still have that voicemail before her and I finally spoke) and she was the consummate professional and client centric even going as far as suggesting she may be able to work some magic in December but not a word from her or conversation with the dealership. I just called and left her a message today asking for a second phone call as well as the next level in the management chain. Lets see what comes of it.

I don't know what you or others thing but I believe that this thread is just as critical as all the other ones where we discuss issues/problems or need help with questions. The experience and relationship starts with the brand and how they view the client relationship. It should not matter how popular a vehicle is what its demand is. What brings you back is the brand and the people behind it.

Maybe someone at MB will read this thread and send it on. Not so much for me but for all of us who decide that MB is our choice....idealistic is my downfall.

Thanks Krzyd.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, the experience of many who ordered 2020 GLEs early, like myself, was that communication from MBUSA to the dealers & customers was very poor on the status of their builds which were delayed time and time again. I ordered 11/18 the first day possible and got my car after 6 months but only because of some insider intervention. The Executive Referral Manager at the Customer Assistance Center was useless. I also sent emails the the VP for Customer Service and the dealer contacted Distribution. I have ordered the first of each new ML/GLE ('98, '05 & '12) and never had issues like this. I'm hoping things are getting better as production smooths out, but not holding out too much hope.

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Thanks Greg. And let me say again appreciate you getting this forum up and running. At least it lets me vent about my frustrations. I figured by now MB would have worked out the issues.

You clearly looked at my build options..any suggestions? Avoids, adds, changes? Since I am still waiting on an allocation. Also how do you like the GLE so far. I'd love to get some honest feedback
(my dealer is looking to trade a G63 M-wagon that they have coming in for an allocation with another dealer. They also have 2 other orders sitting behind mine waiting for allocations. They also told me 4 months for the build)

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
Greg I am assuming you did not get the Driver Assistance Package PLUS (DAPP) since you have MB-Tex. I love the MB-TEX in my GL450 and wanted it on the new 2020 but if you go DAPP then you have to go leather. Another large frustration from my friends at MB.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the Dinamica/MB-Tex Sport seats that are in the AMG Line Interior package. They're okay, but in retrospect wish I'd got the Nappa leather ones. I didn't get the DAPP because I really don't care for or need all the nannies - I like to drive! Yeah, the prerequisites and exclusions are frustrating where they are purely marketing driven.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Krzyd, As far as options, for me the AMG Line Exterior was a must. IMO it looks so much better than the basic version, and you get larger drilled front brakes, nicer front end with diamond grille, painted wheel arches and a functional sport exhaust (with valves and outlets in the bumper that are not fake), The other thing I think is essential is the Panorama sunroof which really brightens up the interior.

·
Registered
2014 GL450
21 Posts
debating on the acoustic comfort pkg...I keep hearing great things about it....nothing but goodness...anyone hear anything?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regarding Acoustic Comfort, I think the sound reduction is marginal. You do get the infrared reflecting windshield - where do you live?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts