Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Make sure to read the 'Terms of Use' and 'Forum Guides' extensively since this contains important information on the usage of this site and how to make your stay here more enjoyable.<br>
<br>
There are a lot of new features and functionalities that have been added to our forums so please do read the above mentioned documents.<br>
<br>
You might find some dead links here and there but be assured that everything will be up and runnning soon.<br>
<br>
Please use the test forum to try out pictures, links, etc before posting on the actual forums. If you find a bug, please post it on the Feedback forum.<br>
<br>
Please do use the facilities we offer. 'Owner Reviews and FAQ' are a way for people to share their knowledge about their Mercedes. Please add to it so others may learn from you.<br>
<br>
If you need any help, don't hesitate to e-mail me at [email protected] <br>
<br>
Best Regards,<br>
Frank<br>
[email protected]<br>
The Mercedes Owner's Resource

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I purchased my wife a 1995 500sl with 40000 miles. It is a very clean car with one problem. After you drive the car a few miles and then come to a full stop after about 20 seconds there is a strong oil vapor smell that enters the inside of the car through the ventilation system. If ventilation system turned off there is no smell.The smell is similar to the oil vapor smell from the old crankcase oil vents.I have had the car to the dealership on three separate occasions and while they have tried they cannot locate the source of the oil smell in the engine or how it gets into the ventilation system. They have kept the car for up to a week. They have replaced the rubber seal under the hood,pulled the manifolds,replaced the valve cover gaskets,steam cleaned the engine,looked for leaks in the emissions system. There are no oil leaks on the garage floor and the vehicle does not burn oil.The service manager told me yesterday that he had drive another 1995 500sl and it had an oil smell. They have brought in the Mercedes area representative who had no great words of wisdom. Has anyone got any ideas or heard of this problem in other 500?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts