Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 E320 Special Edition
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed a strange squeaking noise when I turn the wheel at low speeds.
I idle out of my drive way in the morning, and when I turn the wheel about 10 or 20 degrees to the left I hear a strange squeaking noise. It's not the steering wheel (obviously). Any thoughts on what it could be? A friend recommended I should check the power steering fluid and I think it might be time to change it. Any advice?

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,993 Posts
That's the hydraulic relief valve. It's no pressing danger, but It's probably a good indicator to change PS fluid and filter. There's a sticky on top for it.

·
Registered
91 300e 2.6
48 Posts
Sqeaky noise

My car is doing almost the same thing but it happens when i push down on the car and when it goes over any bumps or i turn the car. I was thinking it was the coils springs but i am not sure. Could that be it. When i push up and down on that side of the car i hear it looudly and it is getting to be annoying.

·
Registered
95 E320 Special Edition
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I love this forum. And the ball joint failure is my biggest fear! I'll change the PS fluid and if the nose persists I guess it's time for ball joints.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
[edit] Relief valve usually audible at full lock
Good point, I'd suggest turning steering to full lock, see if the noise is the same. If not check BJ, if it is...well now you know what it is.

·
Banned
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320
239 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. At low speeds or at a stop turning the wheel either way makes a creaking noise. Pretty sure it's the ball joints but not sure. Also creaks when I get out of it or push down on the front left side.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
828 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing. At low speeds or at a stop turning the wheel either way makes a creaking noise. Pretty sure it's the ball joints but not sure. Also creaks when I get out of it or push down on the front left side.

Can be the rubber mounts on your front sway bar. - Change them first - they're cheap and probably need doing anyway. They make a shocking squeaking noise when going over bumps or turning corners when they have dried out.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Silicone

Can be the rubber mounts on your front sway bar. - Change them first - they're cheap and probably need doing anyway. They make a shocking squeaking noise when going over bumps or turning corners when they have dried out.
IF we are talking sway bushings, try a little silicone to quiet them.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E 91
38 Posts
Mine was also making the same noise. But I changed the sway bar bushings (they were worn out), changed the PS fluid and filter, and now it turns and handles like a dream.
I suggest you you do it as well, is cheap and will help on the noise.

Best of luck!
Erik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts