Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could this be? (Yes, I'm headed to the mechanic--does anyone have a good one in the Chattanooga vicinity?)

High-pitched squeaking, often sustained. Sometimes as I brake, but usually not. Mostly on the right side of the car.

Bearings?

She started complaining when I drove over Signal Mountain to Dunlap. I'm driving Awesome as a daily driver, now that I've moved out of New York City.
I had the car checked out from nose to tail in December before I moved, since I was facing a 1,000-mile drive and using the car to get around every day once I got down here. They said then that the brakes were fine.

I'll be here more often now that my chariot is getting a lot of use. She really seemed to give me the side-eye when I started loading Her Highness with... cargo. lol

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,818 Posts
Do you hear the squeaking noise when stopped but Engine still running?

·
Registered
1987 560SL
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A sort of sustained "squeeeeeeeeee" sound. High-pitched. Comes and goes, but is getting worse

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,818 Posts
Probably Wheel Bearings.
Better get them checked ASAP.
Decades ago the Wheel Bearings in my 1969 442 started squeaking and before I got home I lost front brakes and ruined the Steering Knuckle.

Reactions: roncallo

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC
56 Posts
If it changes with speed, I had a brake pad retaining clip fail at the rivet and the horizontal bar was lodged in diagonally and scraping the back of the rotor cusing the high pitched metallic squeak. Also could be prop shaft related.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the squeaking is mostly at slower speeds. I don't have any trouble turning the wheel (I looked up prop shaft probs). Maybe a U joint issue? that's not good either....I have an appt. Friday morning to get her looked at.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
157 Posts
If it changes with speed, I had a brake pad retaining clip fail at the rivet and the horizontal bar was lodged in diagonally and scraping the back of the rotor cusing the high pitched metallic squeak.
I found both of those anti-rattle clips, for the rear pads, with failed brass grommets. Fortunately the two parts stayed together so I could re-rivet them, but the springy part certainly could have squealed if jammed against the disk and caliper.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
30,804 Posts
Hand brake might be dragging. Have it checked when you take it in to the mechanics
Make sure your hand brake is completely OFF.......pull the knob and toe up on the pedal.

It's happened to me more than once....

·
Registered
1987 300SL
865 Posts
Make sure your hand brake is completely OFF.......pull the knob and toe up on the pedal.

It's happened to me more than once....
I've also had a hand brake cable badly adjusted, causing the hand brake to drag, heating up and squealing intermittently. That and a hot alloy wheel I thought it was a wheel bearing. Adjusted the hand brake properly and problem gone. Hopefully it's something that easy

·
30,804 Posts
I've also had a hand brake cable badly adjusted, causing the hand brake to drag, heating up and squealing intermittently. That and a hot alloy wheel I thought it was a wheel bearing. Adjusted the hand brake properly and problem gone. Hopefully it's something that easy
For me it's my clumsy entry and exit tapping the pedal inadvertently.....juuuusssstttt enough. I pulled over somewhere in Alberta, jacked up the front of the car and checked the wheel bearings so convinced........

·
Registered
1988 560SL Currently, 1972 350SL (RIP)
258 Posts
not likely your issue as this isn’t a high pitch squeal but some strange noises nonetheless but on the right side is the idler arm. I thought a noise I recently had was control arm, tie rod, wheel bearing but I kept ruling them out as I tested when it made and did t make noise. If you mostly hear it at slow turns but not so much at high pace turns it’s worth a look. Not too hard of a job to do yourself.

·
Registered
B 200T W245 ,
67 Posts
noise noise and more noise , and if not running over mice/rats then i say a issue , as it could be anything such as a ball joint , worn brake pads , worn bearing, worn bush , bleeding of brakes needed , YES as sometime brake fluid sits tooooo long near the caliper and need to be refreshed with fresh brake fluid it is called bleeding the brakes to stop the pistons freezing or sticking , so they can move away from the rotor when you are not braking . does the noise go away when braking ? but nothing will be better until you get that car up on a hoist and lets the mecs see what it is. and stop running over mice.

·
30,804 Posts
noise noise and more noise , and if not running over mice/rats then i say a issue , as it could be anything such as a ball joint , worn brake pads , worn bearing, worn bush , bleeding of brakes needed , YES as sometime brake fluid sits tooooo long near the caliper and need to be refreshed with fresh brake fluid it is called bleeding the brakes to stop the pistons freezing or sticking , so they can move away from the rotor when you are not braking . does the noise go away when braking ? but nothing will be better until you get that car up on a hoist and lets the mecs see what it is. and stop running over mice.
I think you need some sleep.

·
Registered
1987 560SL
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another clew: When I depress the brake pedal, the squealing tends to stop. So it's brake-related, but backwards...

·
Registered
1987 560SL
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It also isn't audible at highway speeds. Just when going 45mph or less, roughly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts