Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Unimog U1250
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to go through full grease job today on my 'mog, but there's a weird problem that worries me a lot.

When I tried to push grease through the driver side lower grease nipple nothing went in no matter how hard I pressed. I removed the nipple to see if it was blocked but it was not. I then pushed a screwdrived in the grease hole in the axle and it only went in about 5-10 mm. On the passenger side I can push it in much further.

I then cleaned the hole a bit and saw that there is some bright metal part blocking the hole where the thread for the nipple ends. Any idea what this might be? Something has to be in the wrong place.

It is bad enough that I can't grease the bearing/joint, but if there is something broken inside it sounds like tons of work, expensive tools and expensive spares...:eek:

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
...chop...
When I tried to push grease through the driver side lower grease nipple nothing went in no matter how hard I pressed. ....
The type of grease gun can make a huge difference to break through that stoppage. Of course you might already have the large type with long handle, if so, ignore me. If you can't feel/see the hose expand when you really crank down on it, you're not getting much pressure.

As Normalbloke said, jacking it up will make a huge difference. With it jacked up is a good time to lube the u-joints too.

There are cheap tools available to allow using a hammer to force grease into a cantankerous Zerk. Another trick is to see if the end of the hose, with zerk fitting removed, will screw into the hole where the zerk was. That eliminates pressure loss, and a greasy mess, around the adapter.

·
Registered
Unimog U1250
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The type of grease gun can make a huge difference to break through that stoppage. Of course you might already have the large type with long handle, if so, ignore me. If you can't feel/see the hose expand when you really crank down on it, you're not getting much pressure.

As Normalbloke said, jacking it up will make a huge difference. With it jacked up is a good time to lube the u-joints too.

There are cheap tools available to allow using a hammer to force grease into a cantankerous Zerk. Another trick is to see if the end of the hose, with zerk fitting removed, will screw into the hole where the zerk was. That eliminates pressure loss, and a greasy mess, around the adapter.
Yep I already have the big grease gun with a long handle. It's just that there is some metal part blocking the grease channel that the other side does not. This mkes me worry that something is broken and has moved out of place.

Because I know nothing about mogs I tend to worry a lot when I find any sort of probs. I'll go and have a look at it again in a moment.

·
Registered
Unimog U1250
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I jacked the truck up, worked the steering, poked the grease channel with various objects and sacrificed chickens, but no help. No grease will go through.

What is inside the cavity where the grease is supposed to go? A bearing I guess, but can it be mis-placed so much that it blocks the zerk? There is definitely something solid blocking the way.

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here's a photo of the parts in the repair kit. This kit is good up to chassis number 113,000 +/- in the big UNIMOGs.

The bushing in the upper right corner is the one in the bottom of the knuckle.

-Sean Philyaw

Attachments

·
Registered
Unimog U1250
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for comments guys.

I just searched for kingpins, but I'm still a bit unsure. How much do I have to take apart to replace the bushings etc in there? And more importantly is it a good idea to practice with these parts or should I give the job to someone who knows what he is doing? :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts