Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting at a stop light and proceed to take off. Shortly after passing throught the intersection I hear a loud noise coming from under the hood. It happens only as I place my foot on the gas cause if I coast it stops. I limp the car home about two miles and as soon as I turn onto my street I get the low coolant light on. All this time I'm watching my temp gauge to make sure I'm not getting hot. Well I turn off the car as soon as I pull into the drive way. I pop open the hood and instantly see steam coming up and I can smell the coolant that somehow escaped from somewhere. My question now is what could have caused this and what should I watch out for? I spent about 30 minutes trying to unwrap part of my serpentine belt from the base of the fan where it spins (i'm guessing I was hearing this hit the hood of my car?). The other half of my belt was still on all the pulleys. Once I removed the tangled mess from the fan I went ahead and turned on the car to see that the low coolant light was still on and the temp was sittin @ 40. I go look at all the pullies and they're all still spinning. I shut down the car after 30 seconds to a min and proceed to remove my belt. I then head to autozone and pick up a gatorback belt. I have yet to put it on simply because I'm missing the e10 torx socket to put the belt back on. In my head I want to just put the belt back on and also some coolant so that the light goes away. What other things can I check before I take this thing for a drive? When I did turn it on earlier I also revved the motor which I had noticed more recently that when I did that my fan almost seemed as if it was going into overdrive. Kinda like when you turn on your desktop PC and it speeds up really fast at bootup then slows down. It seems as if it spins up fast then stops as I let off. If anyone has any further info or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it! Also as far as antifreeze goes I guess just buy some zerex and mix with distilled water? There are no benz dealerships around on the town I live in, the nearest is probably 90 miles away. This is on an 00 ML-320 incase anyone was curious. The car itself has 160K, but before I purchased the car it had a new motor put into it maybe 15K ago or so. Apparently it's previous owner drove it till the motor burnt up with no coolant within. Thanks in advance and I appreciate any and all responses!

Matt

·
Registered
1999 MTrash 430, its a joke
190 Posts
The belt came apart? Check to make sure the coolant hoses are not cut. I have seen those belts come apart and do alot of damage to all the other rubber lines. Basically your belt turns into a weed-wacker, and can cut through the coolant lines.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Sounds like you had the water pump go..

To me, sounds like the water pump went... but that's me..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had more time to look today and realized that my upper radiator hose has a huge gouge in it. I have that hose on order as it should be in tomorrow and I was able to find a gallon of the antifreeze as well today. Should I be in the clear or should I still wonder what made my belt shred or get wrapped around the fan shaft...?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Could be something seized..

Check everything the belt drives...it's real hard for belts to shred anymore unless they get seized on, epxecially if you were told there was a "fresh engine" not even a idiot rebuils or replaces a engine without using a new belt.

Sounds like something seized, shredded and threw the belt, then the belt cut the hose..

You do have serious issues, replace the hose, refill with coolant (and from what you said you searched out the right coolant, right?) - then after refill let the car run in place to warm up (like 20-30 min hombre), checking with a flashlight for fluid leaks top/bottom/sideways.... any leaks, shit it down, you cannot afford a on-the-road-overheat situation.. push thatg and you will have to call it over...

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to follow up on what all has gone on. well I ended up having two pulleys replaced, and the belt of course as well as the upper radiator hose as well as a fan clutch. When I got the car back today however my car still sounds rather loud when revving the motor. It almost sounds as if my car could grow wings and take off with as loud as the fan gets. I noticed this after opening the hood and manually moving the throttle body causing the fan to get abnormally loud. I did notice that my two electric fans in front of the radiator were not spinning at all. The air that was coming off from where the fan was blowing on the motor appeared to be very hot in my opinion. I guess my question is could the fan be overworking itself since the two front fans aren't spinning? I do plan to take the car back on monday but until then I just wanted to test my theories with those of the forums that have more experience than me at this type of stuff...thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
to follow up on what all has gone on. well I ended up having two pulleys replaced, and the belt of course as well as the upper radiator hose as well as a fan clutch. When I got the car back today however my car still sounds rather loud when revving the motor. It almost sounds as if my car could grow wings and take off with as loud as the fan gets. I noticed this after opening the hood and manually moving the throttle body causing the fan to get abnormally loud. I did notice that my two electric fans in front of the radiator were not spinning at all. The air that was coming off from where the fan was blowing on the motor appeared to be very hot in my opinion. I guess my question is could the fan be overworking itself since the two front fans aren't spinning? I do plan to take the car back on monday but until then I just wanted to test my theories with those of the forums that have more experience than me at this type of stuff...thanks in advance!

Matt
i believe the 2 electric fans come on and off during AC use and when the car is overheating. i dont believe they are on at all times or with out those two options

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Why did you have the clutch fan replaced? If the replacement was with the wrong one or of inferior quality, you could have that type of noise. Like Stillf1y said, the elec. fans come on when the A/C is operating, so turn the A/C on and confirm that your fans operate constantly while in the A/C mode.

When the A/C is not operating, the elec. cooling fans will be commanded on by the Powertrain Contol Module when the coolant temp. reaches approx. 224 degrees and then turn off when the coolant reaches approx. 218 degrees, and then the cycle will continue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why did you have the clutch fan replaced? If the replacement was with the wrong one or of inferior quality, you could have that type of noise. Like Stillf1y said, the elec. fans come on when the A/C is operating, so turn the A/C on and confirm that your fans operate constantly while in the A/C mode.

When the A/C is not operating, the elec. cooling fans will be commanded on by the Powertrain Contol Module when the coolant temp. reaches approx. 224 degrees and then turn off when the coolant reaches approx. 218 degrees, and then the cycle will continue.
I just had the car towed to the shop I always use and when I went to pick it up yesterday I was told he replaced all that was listed earlier. In inspecting the work today I realized that the fan actually sits a lot closer to the motor as before I could actually see the fan shaft and now the fan sits pretty much right up against the motor. not literally but now I can't see the fan shaft anymore like I could before. I even went as far as to record a video that briefly shows how loud it gets. if any futher ideas pls let me know. I plan to take it back tomorrow afternoon. video is here and it's about 30 mb's http://pages.suddenlink.net/blkml320/MOV00620.MPG

Matt

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts