Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S500 (W140)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
greeting everyone,

I posted a while back about a slight vibration when driving at highway speeds.. im sure its not he balancing,, as it was just done by the dealerr,, they also did the tie rod ends,, and told me everything else looked fine, they also did an alignement,, with new tires...

this vibration will come and go,, its bizzarre,, ive never seen anything like this,,, when it does it,, you notice it,, you feel it in the seat, in the wheel, its horrible,,, noticable while giving throttle and while coasting,, so i know it has nothing to do with the drive train.

meanwhile when it doesent do it,, its smooth and silky like butter,, its almost like there is a vibration on and off switch,, and i dont know whats flicking it :D

I cannot understand it for the life of me,,

something must happen when to cause it,,and then revert back to "normal" and then the issue is not noticable,,

anyone else have any issue like this??

thank you very much,, and any ideas are appreciated.......

and i apologize for my poor grammer but i am typing this on a small hand held cell phone :D

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Sometimes the balancing is off even if they just did it because of wheel weight placement. The installer puts it next to the arrow or dot instead of on it. When spun it would read balanced at 30mph but at faster speeds you will feel a vibration. I even had the guy take my wheels off and spin them and they said balanced. I told him to redo all of them. He did it - pissed off but he still did it.. The shaking stopped. Also make sure you watch them. I do notice that my 140 is sensitive to overtorquing of the wheels. Tire installers dont care...they will impact gun your wheels on at 300ft lbs if you dont watch them. Undo your wheel bolts and then tighten them up properly. If these two things dont work then it could be suspension.....like a loose tie rod or other suspension part. Maybe some of the more experienced guys can jump in on this subject matter.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts
I bought Goodyear Integrity tires ones. (Don't ever buy these for the W140). They were cheap, I was low on cash at that time and I had a blow out so I had to replace tires. So I went the cheapest route.
Anyways, new tires, balanced. When I first got them they were great, no issues. After about a few months I get these vibrations that come and go. Rebalanced twice. Exactly as you describe. I feel it on the seat, steering wheel, shakes the whole floor. I can never reproduce it. Rotated tires, same thing still occurs. I suspected suspension components, all of which looked fine. Flex discs were good. I then started to suspect one of my wheels were bent. Until a few months ago I replaced the cheap Goodyear tires with Michelin's and it's been smooth again ever since.

·
Registered
1999 S500 (W140)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought Goodyear Integrity tires ones. (Don't ever buy these for the W140). They were cheap, I was low on cash at that time and I had a blow out so I had to replace tires. So I went the cheapest route.
Anyways, new tires, balanced. When I first got them they were great, no issues. After about a few months I get these vibrations that come and go. Rebalanced twice. Exactly as you describe. I feel it on the seat, steering wheel, shakes the whole floor. I can never reproduce it. Rotated tires, same thing still occurs. I suspected suspension components, all of which looked fine. Flex discs were good. I then started to suspect one of my wheels were bent. Until a few months ago I replaced the cheap Goodyear tires with Michelin's and it's been smooth again ever since.

That would certanly make sense,, trouble is I went with the good quality Michelins....:

·
Registered
1996 S320
113 Posts
Vibration

AssMan what's up. I've sent you a message for an update on my vibration. Turned out I had (2) bent rims on the inside of the wheel. Don't know how the hell it happened. But after spending almost a thousand dollars on that fucking frontend, it turned out to be the rims. Have a tire place pay close attention to the rims when they balance them to see if the rims are true and straight. Now she rides as smooth as an S class suppose to ride.

·
Registered
1999 S500 (W140)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AssMan what's up. I've sent you a message for an update on my vibration. Turned out I had (2) bent rims on the inside of the wheel. Don't know how the hell it happened. But after spending almost a thousand dollars on that fucking frontend, it turned out to be the rims. Have a tire place pay close attention to the rims when they balance them to see if the rims are true and straight. Now she rides as smooth as an S class suppose to ride.

hey thanks for the idea,,, , i would of hoped the dealership would of taken a look at that,, but you never know,,, ill have to get it checked out...

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,983 Posts
The same issue happens to my W201 190E, I think it is something related to the tire pressure. The issue started when it began to get cold in here, I readjusted the balance for all the wheels and the problem went away almost (sometimes I have very minor vibration).

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Could be just the tires. Michelins are my favs so far. I had Goodyear RSA's they were ok. Slippery when wet! Got loud when they were older. Riding on Bridgestone RE960s for my 190E. They are loud on expansion joints and pavement especially after being broken in. Grip is great in dry and wet. Ride is choppy now when the tires are older. S class riding on Bridgestone Serenity's. Same issue. Harsh choppy ride no matter what the tire pressure is. It is worst now that the weather is colder. They do wear quite well. Almost 9000 miles and they look brand new. Once my 960s wear out I will return to Michelin MXV4 Primacys so that I can enjoy the comfortable ride and also the quieter ride. Tired of loud harshness. Got the 960s for $400 out the door. Serenitys were the same for the S class and the Honda Accord I have too. Just a very harsh ride. But they wear quite well.

·
Registered
1999 S500 (W140)
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could be just the tires. Michelins are my favs so far. I had Goodyear RSA's they were ok. Slippery when wet! Got loud when they were older. Riding on Bridgestone RE960s for my 190E. They are loud on expansion joints and pavement especially after being broken in. Grip is great in dry and wet. Ride is choppy now when the tires are older. S class riding on Bridgestone Serenity's. Same issue. Harsh choppy ride no matter what the tire pressure is. It is worst now that the weather is colder. They do wear quite well. Almost 9000 miles and they look brand new. Once my 960s wear out I will return to Michelin MXV4 Primacys so that I can enjoy the comfortable ride and also the quieter ride. Tired of loud harshness. Got the 960s for $400 out the door. Serenitys were the same for the S class and the Honda Accord I have too. Just a very harsh ride. But they wear quite well.

im running th mxv4's

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
How old are the date codes on your tires? It will read like 5808 or 58th week of 2008. The only times my MXV4s were bad was when they dry rotted when I lived in Las Vegas. It got really loud and would not grip even though they had a lot of tread life left on them. I did a 360 degree spin in front of Bellagio on a cold morning. Luckily I did not hit the pedestrian wall. My 190E got 75K miles outta them. I was amazed cept for the losing traction part.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sometimes the balancing is off even if they just did it because of wheel weight placement. The installer puts it next to the arrow or dot instead of on it. When spun it would read balanced at 30mph but at faster speeds you will feel a vibration. I even had the guy take my wheels off and spin them and they said balanced. I told him to redo all of them. He did it - pissed off but he still did it.. The shaking stopped. Also make sure you watch them. I do notice that my 140 is sensitive to overtorquing of the wheels. Tire installers dont care...they will impact gun your wheels on at 300ft lbs if you dont watch them. Undo your wheel bolts and then tighten them up properly. If these two things dont work then it could be suspension.....like a loose tie rod or other suspension part. Maybe some of the more experienced guys can jump in on this subject matter.
Been there too and same story here. You CAN look in other places for the trouble but my cures have ALL been in the quality of tire and quality of balancing.

The balancing HAS to be done well with care and preferrably taking it off the machine and putting it back on again. It makes a difference as to how the wheels are mounted on the balancing machines. In addition to that the tires MUST be round!

You will notice out of roundness as the wheel is spinning on the balancing machine, but then again it has to be mounted correctly.
You will be surprised at how many tires are not. A good place to start is a quality brand like Continental or Michelin.

·
Registered
1997 s600
267 Posts
How old are the date codes on your tires? It will read like 5808 or 58th week of 2008. The only times my MXV4s were bad was when they dry rotted when I lived in Las Vegas. It got really loud and would not grip even though they had a lot of tread life left on them. I did a 360 degree spin in front of Bellagio on a cold morning. Luckily I did not hit the pedestrian wall. My 190E got 75K miles outta them. I was amazed cept for the losing traction part.
I'm surprised to learn that 2008 had 58 weeks lol! Maybe that code is for a chinese knock-off :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts