Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
W123 230e, W169 A180cdi
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a W140 S320 1995. I had the evaporator replaced and when I got the car back all was good, or so I thought.

I noticed one issue, if I switched off the engine the engine does not switch off. It only switches off when I actually pull the key out of the ignition. The radio also does not switch off if I pull out the key.

Any ideas?

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,643 Posts
Sounds like the ignition switch is where to start.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,532 Posts
I just had something similar 30 minutes ago but i noticed something a few days ago something isn't right here with my ignition switch .
If i leave the car standing for a while then start it , it starts ,but when i turn it of & then try to restart it ,all the lights on the cluster would turn on but that's about it ,turning the key to crank the engine takes several attempts . So just now i installed a new ignition switch & all is perfect again .
This happened because i have a fair few of these ignition switches as spares here ,only one was defective & it looked like that that is the one i installed (out of all lol).
Now i marked it so it wont happen again.
But yeah Look into the Ignition Switch . Keep in mind that if you do remove it ,LEAVE the Key in it to Pos 1 & never touch it until you re-insert it with the Transmission cable ,if not ,the whole system there will lock for good which means the steering lock will stay on no matter what you do until it is drilled out .
Easy & quickly replaced on your own if you go slow & take the steps , i swapped it over in about 10 minutes .

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,532 Posts
Another Possibility could be that ,when who ever reconnected the Ignition switch to the Steering column underneath etc ,that they didn't install the ignition switch properly back in . Check the big electrical plug underneath .
If you take out the ignition switch ,for testing purposes ,do not install back the long pin that secures the steering lock . Happened to me while testing & it did lock itself .
Once everything functions as it should THEN install that pin . You don't need to perfectly re install the ignition switch ,once power is to it ,start testing .

·
Registered
W123 230e, W169 A180cdi
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Merc-S600! I have removed Ignition switches from W123/4 and W126 models, but this would be my first one on a W140, so I thought it might be good to chat to someone with experience.

So I can go ahead and remove the electrical contact from the steering lock without too much issues? Is there a pdf available explaining the removal process of the whole lock and switch assembly?

·
W140 Moderator
7,532 Posts
I'm not to sure about the w123 W126 if its the same , i doubt those have the complex W140 security .
In the video below you see the ignition asembly .
There is no need to remove the Cluster to reach to the special pin . It shows the key removed ,DONT EVER REMOVE OR TURN THE KEY until the complete asembly is in your hands ,never while the steering lock pin is still mounted ,it will lock instantly the moment you remove the cable that leads to the automatic transmissin gear lever selector cable on the side ,just leave the key in and make sure the key is small enought to fit through the ignition hole on the dash ( were you insert the key) .
I knew i should have made a video of my own with more detail to this easy but complicated repair .
In the video below he dosent mention how it locks itself only self destruct ,if that happens ,you need to drill out that hole steering lock pin , took me a lot of power & 2 new big drill bits .

·
W140 Moderator
7,532 Posts
Here is a small guide how to get there , this is on my own 600SEL .
Unscrew the surround of the ignition where the keys goes in ,use a nail or pick tool,you see the 3 holes there ,pos 1-2 & 3 unless its easy to unscrew by hand .
Once that is of ,insert key & turn to Pos 1.

Remove the 2 Screws undernath the drivers cover ,then remove the 2 screws that are hidden ,there should be a smalltiny cut on the leather ,on each side of the dash ,knee level where the dash leather panel meets the lower carpet covering , remove 1 or booth screws that hold the Footbrake release lever .
Pull down the cover but dont pull it out as there is another nut down hidden near behind the brake pedal ,no need to remove .
Remove the Hex screw that holds the black bar across under the I S ,you see it , loosen only the 14 spanner nut on the other side of the bar to shift it .
KEY ALWAYS IN POS 1 ,DONT TOUCH IT .

Press the black lock button on the electrical swith that gives power to the IS ( Ignition Switch ) & pull it towards you down ,it slides of not pull of . Then remove the Special Pin that secures the whole IS to the steering Column .

Now remove the cable on the side of the IS .

KEY STILL IN .
Remove the whole assembly now .

Press the 2 white pins on the side of the black surround of the IS & pull it out,next press the single button where you see the 12-15 exposed pins .
Once that is out ,insert your new one put it back together ,dont mount it yet ,conect the electrical cable and start the car .
Once you see all works again as it should , Re-instal .
Next once job is successfully completed ,Pad yourself on the shoulder & have a Well deserved Beer,lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts