Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E350
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Im going to get right to the point I was drive home on Friday and went to make a turn from a stop sign and started going sideways through the street (yay fun) but then the car whiplashed in a curb destroying the rim :( when I replaced it with a spare it started making a weird humming noise the faster i go the louder it gets. I then bought a new rim and put the original tire back on the car and it was still making the humming. I have been to me Mercedes mechanic and he could not see nor find the problem so i had the tires aligned and still its making the odd noise. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this and around what am i going to spend on fixing it? Thanks a lot i hope to hear from you guys soon.

·
Registered
1998 E320 sedan
52 Posts
Humming Sound

I"m not an expert but would have a suggestion. Could it be possible your wheel bearing was damaged. Here is a quote of possible sounds to listen for.

Grinding Noise
# The most typical sound caused by bad wheel bearings is a metal-on-metal grinding or scraping noise. Other noises associated with bad wheel bearings include squealing, squeaking, chirping or even a moaning sound.

Read more: What Are the Symptoms of Bad Wheel Bearings? | eHow.com What Are the Symptoms of Bad Wheel Bearings? | eHow.com
Good luck

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
On another car I would describe the sound I had as a humming. That turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. You already ruled out the wheel and bad alignment, so maybe that tire has something to do with it.

·
Registered
E350
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have already replaced the wheel and done the alignment I will try to get the bearing replaced next. I have also realized that side that got damaged is letting the wheel sit tilted inward a bit will replacing the bearing fix that or what might be causing that the wheel to sit tilted. I was tilting even before i got the tires aligned. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
Then the alignment is off, if wheel is still tilted.
It could be as simple as the tire running on a previously unused portion of the tire, and the tilted wheel is accentuating and causing the sound.
Take it back and get the alignment re-done. Something may be bent, and it may not take an alignment, however.

My Mustang is doing a similar thing right now after a tire rotation. The alignment on my Stang is off. the tire rotation is causing the rubbing noise from unused rubber on the road surface. Audible on left hand curves.

·
Registered
1998 E320
196 Posts
Bearing

It's your wheel bearing. I'm speaking from experience. Make sure your mechanic replaces it correctly or it will crap out in 200 miles and you will be back to zero. Again... speaking from experience.

Good luck. Drive carefully!
R/
Scuddog:D

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(222K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(186K Miles)
3,472 Posts
If you are using a steel spare wheel, you must use the shorter bolts in the kit with the wheel. The standard bolts are too long for use with the steel wheel and will cause the bolts to catch inside the parking brake enclosure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts