Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a new alternator put in and since then my gas guage has stopped working even though I have half a tank, my hazards stopped working, my reverse lights stopped working, and now i have a malfunction light on my dash saying that the display is faulty bring in for service. do you think that the ground was put in the wrong place? what can be the cause of this problem? please help

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would take it back to whom ever put in your alternator. You did not bring the car to them with these problems so they should be liable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats exactly what im doin, however, they are saying that it was like that when we brought it there even though thats not true. im just tryin to come with some solutions instead of a yelling match

·
Registered
910 Posts
I would persue them in fixing it. If it really having those problems before you took it to them, they are 100% liable. I would rather get in a yelling match with them rather than pay someone else for what they did wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i went back, talked to the service manager, and he said that tomorrow they will have the master tech look at it and fix the problem. it was less painful today than it was yesterday. it kills me that the one time i use someone other than my main machanic things go haywire.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Dealer mechanics, at least at my dealer are not very good. I wouldn't trust them with anything more compicated than washing the car, not even oil changes as they messed those up 3 times, they won't do it a 4th time.

They probably blew the rear SAM, common in your vintage vehicle when jump starting a car or connecting the battery in the wrong order, it was very sensitive back then. I believe the turn signals are also part of the rear SAM. If the only thing not working is the fuel gauge it could be the fuel sending unit, also common in these cars. You can't replace the SAM yourself as it needs programming.

·
Registered
366 Posts
you can also test the fuses in the place where you place your positive jumper leads. you can remove the side of the housing and inside there a lots of main fuse which feed to the SAM's and other electrical system. use a multimeter to find out which fuse is busted (some fuse has clear housing that you can easily find the link broken, but some not) if there is not broken fuse you might end up replacing the Rear Sam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update. they are still workin on the car. now they say that they need a new computer. i guess they are gonna get a new ecu or sam. if thats not it, im bringing it to the deal by wed. it doesnt help that i start my new job on monday with no car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts