Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, I just changed my rear flex disk. Before the service, the car had a mild shimmy. After doing some research, I found that I may need to replace my flex disk. Changed it, and now this shimmy has turn into a down right rough shake.

I am thinking I should take the car to have the drive train balanced. What else would you do? What haven't I done or changed? Driveshaft mount?

Besides, I had done everything else. Motor & transmission mounts. New MAF, New Tires, Ball Joints, Drag link, Steering Damp. Shocks, Trans Flush, Fuel Filter Air Filters... You get the point. I've done everything to this car.

Trust me, Its not my tires or wheel bal. or alignment.

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Fellas, I just changed my rear flex disk. Before the service, the car had a mild shimmy.

Trust me, Its not my tires or wheel bal. or alignment.
To absolutely rule out wheels do a feel check. Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Yes, means obviously it's your front wheels or, all four a possibility. No means something in the drivetrain/suspension and or rear wheels.

Only way to absolutely rule out tires/wheels is put on another pair. Seperately, just fronts. Then just rears. That way you can rule out wheels. Who knows, a bad shock can cause a shake. Even though you're sure start with the tires anyway.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check the tires. However, The vibration that I feel now, was not there before I replaced the flex disk. It has changed the sound of the exhaust. Something is knocking, which is why I don't think its the tires. I just replaced them 6 months ago....

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To absolutely rule out wheels do a feel check. Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Yes, means obviously it's your front wheels or, all four a possibility. No means something in the drivetrain/suspension and or rear wheels.

Only way to absolutely rule out tires/wheels is put on another pair. Seperately, just fronts. Then just rears. That way you can rule out wheels. Who knows, a bad shock can cause a shake. Even though you're sure start with the tires anyway.

Thanks Harry for taking the time to reply...

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the car in today to find out why the car was vibrating after i got the rear flex disk installed. I was told that the flex disk was installed incorrectly. Once I Have the part installed correctly, I will update you guys, not that you care, on the status.

Just FYI, I was also told my tires were ok. I was kinda worried because I just replaced all four tires.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Once the flex disk is properly installed, if you can safely support the car (like a frame lift) drop it in gear and run it up to speed. If the vibration is still there, you can safely rule out tires.

If the vibration is gone with it on the lift, there are some suspension components and frame mounts that when worn can transmit vibrations.

Once you do the lift test you will know which way to proceed.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I am the author of this post and I just found the issue that was causing the vibration in my seats, and through out the whole car. It was indeed the U joint. Im so pissed with myself because I was on the right track thinking that It was U joint but didn't follow through with my own research.

:surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts