Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After replaceing my MAF with an OEM unit because of my reoccuring P0170 DTC it run fine UNTIL I do a full throttle 1-2 shift and it looses power similar to when you blow the supercharger hose. This problem is there unit I reset to ECM. No DTC's. Any ideas?

Aaron Lephart

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
I had the same issue.
The pre 2000 has a bypass valve from the intercooler to the aircleaner. I swapped that over and problem went away.
Put a restrictor washer in the hose at the intercooler end to see if it stops issue as a test?

Bazzle

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha! I got a DTC. P0803 for 1-4 upshift solienoid circuit malfunction. Any idea's?

Bazzle, I will try that as well.

Aaron Lephart

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TTT, problem comes and goes. Resetting the ignition fixes for a while.

Aaron Lephart

·
Registered
'98 SLK200K
18 Posts
Hi everybody,

It seems that I am having the same problem as Aaron (mine is a '98 SLK200 K)

The symptom is poor performance after a few mins of full throttle (which goes away if I turn off the engine and turn it on again in a few sec).

This afternoon I tried the checking procedure for the air bypass valve...(i.e. removed the "wired" pipe and one side of the afm and revved the engine until the kompressor started spinning)... the kompr. engaged normally but the butterfly did not move at all!!!!

I then disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour to erase any DTC's and did the same procedure...again no movement.

I then took the car for a spin and for about 10 mins it pulled the way it should always pull. After that suddenly the loss of power happened again. I switched it off then on and was ok again.

What I think is strange in my case is that the car was ok when I took it for a spin, even though that a few seconds earlier the test showed no movement of the butterfly. It should have had the loss in power, shouldn't it??

PS: I forgot to mention that before I did the test for the abv I performed the procedure for resseting the throttle (I have a 5 sp. manual gearbox)

any ideas???

Stavros

edit: just a small detail that might help. The air bypass valve is made by Siemens-VDO and the part #'s are
408.224/001/001 (VDO)
111 098 0009 (MB)

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230 KOMPRESSOR
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P0803 DTC is back for me to! Off to the shop tomarrow, ARG!

Aaron Lephart

·
1998 SLK 230
2,623 Posts
I had the exact same issue... when i read the codes i got

P0803 and P0806. the car would act like a normal 4cyl, no boost. I reset it with my scan tool and P0803 went away and didn't come back, BUT P0806 would keep coming up (but didn't effect performance).

I did this however and it seemed to work... start the car and use your finger to push the butterfly in the bypass valve fully closed a few times. you should feel it harder to push when the engine is running (idle) as apposed to the engine off (easy to move). This seemed to re-calibrate it? the car boosted fine... Still P0806 coming back.

After i got my tranny serviced (fluid changed), they changed the data plug to the transmission as it was leaking oil. P0806 hasn't come back.

Ive also noted removing the batt -ve terminal will not reset fault codes... i guess you have to remove the +ve terminal too. Ive done this for 1hr+ when i didnt have a scan tool to clear codes and no luck... with the scan tool cleared codes and no probs...

all my tranny codes (P08xxx) woes went away when i got it serviced? could be a slightly low fluid affecting solenoid shifting due to dodgy data plug leaking?

·
Registered
'98 SLK200K
18 Posts
This morning I was going to my office (15 min ride from my home) and it was running strong (except maybe a very slight hesitation at about 5000-5200 rpm).
Maybe the problem has to do with high temps. This afternoon if I have time I will take out the K40 relay to take a look at it...ohh, and clean the MAF :) :)

Subby I did the same thing (i.e. moving the butterfly with my finger) and it moved easily (i could hear the little motor inside).

Now, about the tranny, I guess you must have an auto so it shouldn't apply to my case...

·
1998 SLK 230
2,623 Posts
yes im auto...

did you find it easy to move when the engine was on and idling? i found mine hard to move to close when engine was on, as it was keeping it open (which is correct for idle).

turn the engine off and move it to close and it moves with ease indicating the little motor inside there is working. if yours moves without any resistance when engine is running (push with your finger) it may indicate the little electric motor in there is stuffed?

·
Registered
'98 SLK200K
18 Posts
My mistake...I didn't make it clear...the butterfly moved easily with the engine off...I didn't try it with the engine running....

·
Registered
'98 SLK200K
18 Posts
quick update....

I didn't have time to do anything on the car yesterday.....BUT....
It run perfectly no matter how hard I pushed it...and no matter what the outside temp was (we had 43 C yesterday)... to tell the truth I was surprised about that because I was deliberatelly pushing it to reproduce the problem....

Anyway now that I am thinking about it, there is something I did the other day when I was testing the abv and forgot to mention it... I took out and reinstall a few times the electrical connector to the abv (it looked ok). Maybe the metal plates inside it where corroded and they didn't make good contact, and because of the removal they were "cleaned" from the corrosion....

I'll keep you informed about it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts