Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 S500 4matic, 2008 S550 4matic
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My analog clock shows 7 hours ahead of proper time since I looked at them first a week ago (2008 S550 4matic). I got to settings in Command and found time adjustment tab. To my surprise the Command shows me the picture of my clock with proper time, however no matter what I do my dashboard clock shows wrong time and does not want to synchronize with Command. Any idea what is going on and how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
2007 S550
9 Posts
HERE'S THE CLOCK FIX.

Let the car sit overnight. That's because the satellite from the GPS doesn't synch any longer.

Turn the ignition to on without starting. You know have one minute (tick tick) to adjust the time and get that gratifying feeling when you see the analog clock whirr to the correct time. (Sort of like hearing the sound of your printer turning on.) Save and back out of the commands.

Turn off the ignition. Get out of your car and spin on the driveway like Curley from the 3 Stooges (Optional)

Get back in your car, start her up and get on with your wretched lives.

Thank you, thank you very much.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can not believe it, Andy! It worked as prescribed!!!! 25 likes!!!!!!!! thank you very much!

But - why?????? Why did it happened? What MB was thinking about?????????

·
Premium Member
2007 S550
9 Posts
I can not believe it, Andy! It worked as prescribed!!!! 25 likes!!!!!!!! thank you very much!

But - why?????? Why did it happened? What MB was thinking about?????????
MB stopped supporting certain aged models. Well, I had my mechanic actually change the analog clock panel with a $35 used junker from E bay. When it didn't work, he went to this site, did a couple of searches and came up with this remedy. So you all had the answer here and didn't find it. I had posted this fix once again a few months ago.

Also, when your sensors squeal that the the parking assist is not operable, check the owner's manual, that's ambient radar from traffic lights as well as from Barney Fife's badge. Just ignore it and get on about your day. Or temporarily disengage it until you are out of the city.

PS anyone living in South Florida need to use Miami Motoring LLC located in Hollywood, Fl. 2 young HONEST geniuses.

Glad it helped.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My clock is still working today and I am very happy. Thank you Andy very much!
BTW, are Miami Motoring Russians? They both have Russian names...

·
Registered
2001 210.082 +494, 2008 221.176 +494
154 Posts
I am hoping to be able to provide a real fix for this issue where it functions as it should. Is your date showing the correct data, and if set when there is no GPS reception, does it stay?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not checked on the date. The reason I did not since I have no idea why would my car need to know the date? I hope it does not celebrate national holidays or looking for deals on Flack Friday? Why do I need to set the date?
If the date is off - do I need to wait overnight to loose GPS record? BTW, I guess I can set my clock if I am at a place where is no GPS reception?

I will check the date tomorrow and let you know :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Date would be used in the ASSYST Control Module, which stores service information such as oil changes, etc., days from in-service, etc.

If the date is incorrect, there is nothing you can do, as if you change it, it will revert to the improper previous date.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thing are getting more weird. This morning I started the car and I noted the clock rotating to over several hours unprovoked! I was busy and could not check final position. I came just now to check the date as as soon as I opened the driver door I heard clock rotating again! Another problem was that the car did not turn on the lights so it was completely dark. I thought the battery is dead but I started the car and lights got back. I found that the minute hand was correct but hours hand was two hours behind. I opened Command page to find that the image of the clock at the command showed the same time as actual clock. The date was 1/1/2003. I changed time in command but it did not have effect of actual clock. Then I changed date and as soon I changed the command screen and come back to date page the date changed to March 14, 2019. I tried to change date several times but always if was persistently coming to March 14 date. I saw a post about firmware update but I don't want to take a risk of loosing command. BTW, if command get bad - may I get another one from a donor car and with proper programming to marriage it to my car? I still may need another command since my radio does not work and a dealer was trying to get me scarred to death (I just red sticky for new members and don't want to use stronger language).

Am I confined to live without time on my dashboard?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like you may need to have your batteries tested.
The GPS firmware had a bug when developed in 2005, and it surfaced about a year ago for NTG 3.0 cars. The date will not stay at what you set it at. The analog clock will not move to match the COMAND except under certain circumstances.

The only solution to this, which we all felt we would have to live with from now on, is updating the firmware for the GPS time/date calculation.

If you follow the instructions as stated, bricking the device is unlikely.

These are not VIN or PIN aware, so yes you could replace it with a used one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you may need to have your batteries tested.
Do you mean my main car batteries? The starter battery is brand new, I think I never had problem with large battery. Does the light inside the car coming form the large battery? It is possible that the reason for the clock to stop if my battery is bad and I use alternator to feed the whole car after it starts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
On the dual battery system, it makes if very difficult to diagnose a failing battery. The Starter Battery under the hood it pretty obvious when it needs replacement. The "Consumer Battery" (it is referred to as many things) is in the trunk located behind the rear seat lining. It is responsible for about everything else except starting.

When it reaches the end of its life, some of the symptoms are:
  • The dome light turns off shortly after the vehicle is entered.
  • The COMAND will not operate with the engine off for very long at all (5 min max) and then present the warning that the COMAND will be shut off withing 3 minutes if engine is not started.
Other symptoms you describe sound like they are related to the consumer battery. Since most people associate the time to change the battery is when the engine starts turning over slowly, or doesn't start if the headlamps are left on for a short amount of time and this does not apply to the dual battery system, often times the rear battery goes unnoticed and you do operate the accessories off of the alternator after the vehicle starts, which obviously shortens the life of the alternator.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tiffany,

I am pretty sure that my "Consumer Battery" is dead. This morning the button to open trunk was dead, not lights on dashboard and auto-closing of doors was out. I found that AAA gives me a free battery so I bought at NAPA this guy:
NAPA The Legend Premium AGM Battery BCI No. 49 850 A Glass Mat. I am confused since they call if primary battery - I thought the primary battery is the starter battery. I hope it will fit to my car. From what I understand I need AGM 49 battery - is it correct?

Is it true that after facelift S550 has only one battery? I think dual battery is a cool thing to have!

Should I expect that my clock will not get wild after I get the battery fixed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts