Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went to a local MB dealer and took a 2005 200K Auto for a test drive.

On the drive I was gently accelerating from 30MPH up and the engine revs dropped and the car started coasting. I pushed the pedal to the floor and nothing happened. I released it and pressed again and still nothing. I released the pedal and let the car coast for about five seconds before trying again and it sprang to life.

Then about 30 seconds later it did the same thing.

About two minutes after this I was accelerating and the transmission started a gear change, but then it paused for about five seconds allowing the car to coast before completing the change - all while I was holding the pedal steady.

So, the dealer blames this on the variable speed limiter being enabled. I noticed that the service records show the fuel pump was replaced this month. Of course the salesperson couldn't reproduce it.

Is the dealer talking rubbish? Can the speed limiter cause this kind of behaviour?

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am not familiar with the 200K but my 2006 SLK280 transmission sometimes "slips". I stop the car, turn it off, turn it back on and everything is fine. Doesn't happen often but it bugs me. Of course I cannot check the fluid or anything on the car so I talked to my MB shop and they say when I stop and start it, it is re-setting the software and it could (probably) be a software issue. But it may be hardware or transmission issue. Diagnostic Test is $189 at my shop in Dallas TX. If they want to sell you that car, (A) ask for a Transmission Dianostic Test run on it. If they refuse to do it, they probably already have done it and know what's wrong, if anything. Or (B) test drive it again, a couple of times on different days, and see if it does it again. or (C) look for another car, Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts