Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cla 180 2014 mod, and the car suddenly had a flapping sound whenever the AC was on, or just the air system. On 1 bar it didn't make a noise but as I increased to 2 and 3 it made more noise the higher the fan speed. When I turned on the heater it slowly faded away.

I found the issue though, it was a rubber flap thing, like a mudflap on a air duct? Some kind of air channel behind the wheel on the passenger side to the left. Like straight down from the glovebox, from underneath of the car, to the left of the right wheel.. Looks like it sucks air in from that but I've never heard that sound in my life in those 6 years we've had it. I just tucked it outside of the way. Was that a bad idea? Any help? Can't find any info on the web.

Thanks in advance for any help, heres the video link.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,612 Posts
That's just an exhaust vent so that pressure inside the car can be normalized, such as when closing the doors. The flap is there to prevent outside air and bugs from easily entering the cabin. Over time, the rubber gets soft and that's why it's flopping like that. There is really no harm in folding it back like that except you might get more smells and bugs in he car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just an exhaust vent so that pressure inside the car can be normalized, such as when closing the doors. The flap is there to prevent outside air and bugs from easily entering the cabin. Over time, the rubber gets soft and that's why it's flopping like that. There is really no harm in folding it back like that except you might get more smells and bugs in he car.

Ah well thanks alot for the reply, glad to know it's nothing serious. But is there something I can do to make it stiff again so it doesn't flop around like that? Maybe buy a new part or do something myself like a diy? Would preferably close it to keep the bug outside and to not hear that annoying sound. Otherwise I'll just keep it tucked away.

No issue during winter is it? Or heavy rain? If I choose to just have it tucked away and open like that?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,612 Posts
It faces downward, so there should be no issues with rain. As a new part, it's going to be dealer-only. I've not worked on the CLA, but on other cars, it's usually an L-shaped piece of rubber and it wear out in the crook of the "L". You could try to reinforce it with a spring or some stiff wire maybe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It faces downward, so there should be no issues with rain. As a new part, it's going to be dealer-only. I've not worked on the CLA, but on other cars, it's usually an L-shaped piece of rubber and it wear out in the crook of the "L". You could try to reinforce it with a spring or some stiff wire maybe.
Alright, thanks alot for the help, appreciate it. I'll see what i can do to make it harden a little bit so it doesnt flop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts