Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the two replaced earlier this year and as a result the rear always rested higher than the front end of the car, which didnt bother me since I was so used to having the rear sag down due to broken accumulators for years.

I went to the tire shop today to align my tires(shimmy steering wheel problem) and when they hoisted up the whole car and took the rear tires, the hydraulic reservoir in the hood overflowed and leaked fluid all over the place much to the shop's amusement.

When I got home, I had my indy change my coolant, which prompted him to lift the front end of the car(front right side specifically so the car is tilted) and in the midst of all this, he told me to start the car and when I did I can hear hissing from the rear left of the car, which seems to be coming from the accumulator. The way the car was angled, the rear left of the car was being squished so the hissing doesnt seem odd to me at least.

When he lowered the car, the hissing stopped and theres no fluid leak on the ground (under the accumulator) whatsoever.

Now the rear sits like it used to when the accumulators are busted, though I dont know if this means the accumulators have already gone bad since theyre only a few months old. I dont think the accumulators are bad considering prior to going to the tire shop, my rear end was sitting high before leaving the house.

I checked the fluid in the reservoir and it seems to be full, which is interesting considering how much fluid spilled earlier. I dont know whats wrong though I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about :(

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
My guess is that there may have been excess fluid in there all along (what's the ride quality like?)

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
Sounds like the control linkage to the ride height valve may not be adjusted properly. What happened--the spheres, shocks and hydraulic lines have pressure in them and when the vehicle was raised (and rear wheels were farther from the vehicle then when on the ground) the height valve opened and sent fluid back to the reservoir. This is normal. The system thought the rear end was way too high compared to normal and attempted to compensate by releasing fluid and lowering the rear. Your car must have been jacked up by using the proper rubber bumpers under the rocker panels. If it had been raised by a jack under the rear control arms this would not have happened as the relationship between the axles and frame would not have changed to move the control valve.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, this would be the first time since the new accumulators have been installed that the whole car has been lifted off the ground.

Should I refill the fluid? the dipstick indicates its nowhere near the minimum so to me I'd rather leave it as is and just check here and there if anything changes.

NZ Benz: Ride quality seemed the same(comfortable) after the tire shop visit, and I lost the shimmy shake from the tire balancing so it was actually better :D

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
If you have a dual entry pump (steering and suspens) best you top it up fluid temp will rise if not enough to do job...

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
Fill the reservoir to the proper level! If you put a lot of weight in the rear and the car sags, causing the suspension to require more fluid, the pump will run dry and cause expensive damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts