Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Took out a decent amount of stuff from my car today and weighed them on my super accurate scale in order to get an accurate weight reduction amount. Thought I'd share the results with you.

- CD changer w/ mount & carpet cover = 7.170 lbs
- plastic spare tire circle cup = 1.275 lbs
- Jack = 3.430 lbs
- Tools = 1.625 lbs
- Rear Spare Tire = 49.8 lbs

total weight reduction for today = 63.30 lbs exactly.

Not a bad days work, and since every 10lbs ~ 1HP thats not too bad. I am still far off my goal of 250 lbs + but I don't think it should be too difficult to get there. my OEM battery has been replaced with an interstate aftermarket battery (not a lightweight one but a similar replacement model) and even those are usually 10lbs lighter than OEM, so the car is probably already a little bit lighter, but I am going to go all out and get the Odyssey PC680 w/ battery box.

The only thing I want to do in order to get that is disable my parking lights that stay on when you lock the car (for about 10 seconds). anyone know how to disable that pointless feature?

Anyways... lots more weight savings to come :) .

·
Registered
414 Posts
The biggest gains will be form the following:

Replace your secondary cats with straight pipes

replace your huge resonator with an xpipe

replace your muffler with something lighter as well (magnaflow etc)

lighter wheels will make a huge difference

You could probably save over 100 pounds just doing those things.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest gains will be form the following:

Replace your secondary cats with straight pipes

replace your huge resonator with an xpipe

replace your muffler with something lighter as well (magnaflow etc)

lighter wheels will make a huge difference

You could probably save over 100 pounds just doing those things.
I was going to replace the dual cats with one single mangaflow. how heavy are the stock cats? Wheels I may not be able to save weight b/c I'm going with bigger wheels & tires so any losses will go towards that.

I am keeping the stock resonator b/c its 100% free flowing and also I need a decent sized resonator in order to compensate for the very free flowing all-in-one magnaflow. I don't want it to drone so I will keep the OEM one. A magnaflow 22" resonator would work as well but OEM one is larger and will reduce drone & volume even more.

i'll weigh all the different parts. and let everyone know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about weight distribution?

If all that weight (Spare, jack, etc.) comes out of the rear what happens when you launch? If your car is like mine, wheel spin is already a problem. Do you notice it being more difficult to control after removing all that weight from the rear? Is there any noticable handling difference in cornering? I removed the resonator, but that was fairly centered on the car.
Thanks - still learning the car.......

Rick

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no real noticed difference honestly, little traction then, little traction now. I have junk continental contisport2 tires on here right now. I need to get rid of these and get a set of REAL tires. with 265 kuhmo MXs doesn't matter what I do I probably won't be able to break those loose, they are as close to R-compounds as you can get for the street (far better than my Michelin PS2s and I personally think even S03s).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts