Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 500SL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just had the weather stripping around the windows replaced about three weeks ago on both tops. Since doing that, especially when it is cold out, the doors often times don’t shut unless I roll the window down a little bit, shut the door and then roll the window back up. If the door does close with the window up, then often the window doesn’t seat right and just bumps up against the weather stripping on the outside leaving a gap. It will stay like that until I roll the window down and then back up. I was told the doors were re-aligned too.

Is this always a problem when new weather stripping is installed or does it compress and form correctly over time? It’s really annoying and there is still quite a bit of wind noise while driving too.

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
I have all new weather stripping I purchased from the MB classic center and meticulously installed myself and I have the same problem of having to slightly lower the windows first before closing the door. I am hoping these will eventually wear in properly?

·
Registered
1982 500SL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't tried adjusting the door glass. I'm not sure if they did. I'm going to call them today about this and ask that. I've already called once and the guy said he was going to call me back but didn't.

·
Registered
1984 500SL (RHD) 160k miles
188 Posts
have you tried lubing the rubber with some silicone grease? that can help.
interestingly on some newer convertibles they have a little circuit in the electric windows that lowers the glass by 5mm or so then puts it up again once the door is closed. I don't think it would be that hard to fit something similar to the 107?!

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
interestingly on some newer convertibles they have a little circuit in the electric windows that lowers the glass by 5mm or so then puts it up again once the door is closed. I don't think it would be that hard to fit something similar to the 107?!
Yup, courtesy windows. Available as an aftermarket plug-in module on the CWBSNBN, but it would have to be completely done from scratch on the MB.

·
Registered
1982 500SL
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read about applying silicone grease but wasn't sure how effective it is. I'll have to go buy some and see if that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts