Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380sl
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chain tensionor at startup after car has been sitting for a long time, 2-3 weeks does not prime quick enough. Can I pull the coil wire and turn engine a few times to prime tensioner? I don’t mind putting in a new tensioner but plan to have my chain changed out with new guide rails but my mechanic will only warrant job only when he buys and installs the tensionor?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
Get him to buy you a tensioner ASAP and if he doesn't have time to install it, install it yourself in his shop Parking lot and have him inspect your work.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,524 Posts
TC Tensioner

+1 on Fonzi's advice.

It's an easy R&R. Buy a couple of 75mm x 8mm nuts and bolts. When you replace the tensioner, the tension makes it tricky to tighten the bolts so you use the longer ones and wind them in gradually so they are even and fully in, then , leaving one firm, remove the other and replace it with one of the originals and then do the other. Soak the tensioner in oil first - no garlic necessary.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,563 Posts
I have an early model 1973, so may e mine was easier than everyone else's. I remember it not being really easy, but I got one bolt started and cranked it in until I was able to get the other bolt started. I didn't need to purchase the extra bolts. It would be smart to pick them up before the job, but if you have another. While and are operating during the hours of normal people, you can always run out and get them if needed. If you work in the garage in the middle of the night, then getting the bolts first is a. Dry smart idea.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Just curious but how do you know it is not priming quick enough? Is it making noises or what? The way I understand how the tensioner works is that the plunger is spring loaded. The oil lubricates the plunger. The spring provides the pressure to the plunger...not the oil. Your model may be different. You could always remove it and give the oil galleys a cleaning and then re-install.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
My chain tensionor at startup after car has been sitting for a long time, 2-3 weeks does not prime quick enough. Can I pull the coil wire and turn engine a few times to prime tensioner? I don’t mind putting in a new tensioner but plan to have my chain changed out with new guide rails but my mechanic will only warrant job only when he buys and installs the tensionor?

Don't let it sit for two or three weeks.

Or...

Stop driving it and and put the saved gas money toward a car hauler when the time come to do the work.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Just curious but how do you know it is not priming quick enough? Is it making noises or what? The way I understand how the tensioner works is that the plunger is spring loaded. The oil lubricates the plunger. The spring provides the pressure to the plunger...not the oil. Your model may be different. You could always remove it and give the oil galleys a cleaning and then re-install.

The spring supplies pre-tension. The operating pressure is oil pressure.

·
Registered
1985 380sl
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all your help. Think Ill let her set until i return after sept then haul it into the shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts