Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

first time post and new member (here's hoping someone can help me)

the car... 380 SLC approx 1984 160K (on the clock)
the driver... 82 year old gent had car for over 20 years (driver slowly)
the problem... engine lossed all power but still idles (roughly) drives about 5km hr on flat ground
things that have been changed so far... plugs, rotor button, leads, coil.
things tested... fuel pressure (6.1 bar when idleing). fuel return line (clear).
timing ( on one occasion that it reved to 3000 rpm and I managed to check and adjust the timing to 25 vacuum off) when engine was cold but it haven't been able to rev it up that high since.

I pulled the dizzy out and rotated it with Ignition lights on and spark plug fitted to king lead (coil HT) earthed out on engine. there is a blue spark but very faint/weak, this was also tried with heavy duty jumper cable attached to battery earth to engine, as I have read about earthing issues, but still the same result

when it is idleing it seams like its missing but i put that down to the weak spark and there is a heavy/rich/unburnt fuel.

so can anyone help me with some good suggestions on what to be testing next as I seem to be drinking more coffee than getting my hands dirty!

many thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Check the charging circuit, ie is the battery receiving a good charge from the alternator?

·
52,804 Posts
Check the engine to chassis earth strap.

·
52,804 Posts
Then take an old spark plug and connect it to an HT lead then ground the plug and get someone to crank the engine, see what sort of spark you get then. Then connect the plug direct to the coil HT lead and test again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Eric,
Thanks for your reply, but as mentioned above I have attached a heavy duty jumper cable from the battery to engine earth with no difference at all.

do you know how to test out the Ignition module ?

·
52,804 Posts
Hi Eric,
Thanks for your reply, but as mentioned above I have attached a heavy duty jumper cable from the battery to engine earth with no difference at all.

do you know how to test out the Ignition module ?
Sorry I do not. You really need someone with the same model to help with parts to test.

·
52,804 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts