Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my SL on Saturday and managed to program the integrated mirror-mounted remote OK. However, it won't open the garage door from the outside when the door is closed. It will close the door from the outside and it will open the door when the car is inside of the garage. I tried stripping the insulation from the opener's wire antenna with no result. My handheld remote can open the closed door from the outside with no problem.

Is there anything that can be done to increase the power of the transmitter?

Thanks,
Charles Taylor

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,108 Posts
I can open my garage door from across the street.

Not much you can do to the transmitter end at the car.
If the receiver is a separate unit, move it closer to the outside wall.
If it is built into the Head unit (drive motor), you may need to do something to its antenna.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Even though the other remote worked, is the problem with the Mercedes or the garage door opener?
Try programming a button at someone else's garage (parents, siblings, relatives) to see if the "weakness" is also there. Promise them you erase the program after testing.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,084 Posts
Sounds like a combination of weak transmitter and metal garage door shielding the receiving antenna.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. My garage door is steel and, since the handheld remote opens it just fine, I assume the SL's transmitter must be weak. The integrated opener in my wife's R350 also opens the garage door with no problem.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,108 Posts
Like I said not much you can do at the transmitter end of an old car. Even if it is 'fixable' it would cost you $$$$. So all you can do is to play with the receiver end.

·
Registered
SL500, GLC300
1,689 Posts
the battery in your car could be wearing out maybe. just a thought.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
I would re-program the HomeLink remote in your car. Did you use the "Smart" button on your garage door opener to program your car? I would if you did not. It is more of a direct link-up than with just the remote. You can always call the Homelink technical support number. Use link to enter your location: HomeLink

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
586 Posts
Very interesting reading here. I recently replaced my rear view mirror as my remote buttons became intermittent. Tore my rear view mirror apart and determined I had bad connection point between the buttons and a metal strip at the base of the mirror and would require tearing the mirror completely apart. Found another mirror on ebay identical to mine so I purchased and installed. Programming was simple using remotes for the garage door and electric gate and pointing them at the mirror while pressing the buttons simultaneously. The only problem is, I have to be right in front of the gate and garage door to get either to function. My old rear view mirror I could engage the receivers from about 50 to 60 feet away. Logic says the one installed now has a weak transmitter. Not totally certain, but I did message Homelink to see if they can assist. Anyone have any additional input or advice?

Thanks in advance,
deucer

·
Registered
2002 Silver Arrow Pano
1,357 Posts
Mine has always been spotty. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. When it does work, I always have to be very close to my gate and garage door. It finally got bad enough where I stopped trusting it and carried a back-up opener in the armrest. Its on my list (actually, its the only thing on the list) of things to tinker with but just not super high priority.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts