Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 300TE 4Matic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When running the air conditioner in my car, the air flow coming out of the vents is very weak. With the fan speed on high, you can barely feel the air coming out. Could this be from a dirty cabin filter? Does anyone have any other ideas of what the problem could be?

Also, I've noticed little pieces of black foam coming out of the vents. Is there some kind of seal deteriating?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Your vacuum pods are toast...

About a 6hr job with dash removal and $250 in parts.

Just did it last week :)

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
You can use a stick tru the center vent with a/c on and push down the non op flap for now,leave the stick in there,8 to 10" long.

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
782 Posts
further explanation

The air flow to your vents is directed by vacuum controlled pods, which have a diaphragm that cracks or the connections to them leak.

Your car does not have a cabin air filter. The evaporator therefore can get really clogged up with filth over time, and slow air flow through it.

The pieces of foam are breaking off the center vent flap or the internal flap that blocks air from entering the car. It's for sound proofing, but degrades over time.

There are many many threads here about all this, including a few from ps2cho. "Search" away:)

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
While I have no doubt that he has more than one vacuum pod that is toast, I'm sure that this is a case of an old fan and/or fan speed regulator. I replaced my fan and regulator and my fan speed at least doubled...had the evaporator cleaned while the fan was being replaced.

·
Registered
1992 300D 2.5
38 Posts
I swear this seems to come up a lot. Is your air cold? Do the buttons on the climate control direct the air to the right vents? If yes then you are good to go and your vacuum pods are working fine. The fan is in backwards. To test this is easy peasy. Put a piece of paper on the dash. Put the climate control on defrost. Put the fan on high. The piece of paper should get pinned to the windshield. In your case I bet not. Find the DIY for this and take off the windshield wiper, get down to the fan motor and you will see that some monkey put the thing in backwards. About a twenty minute job to get there. Turn the fan around, button her back up, and you will have air coming out of the vents like never before. Make this a sticky or something. If your air is cold your ac is fine. If your buttons are directing to the right vents then your pods are fine. If you don't have air volume then your fan is in backwards. Good luck and enjoy the money you saved!

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
782 Posts
Fact check before ordering parts

Not funny if the OP believes that ebay is a reliable source of information, does not double check for correct tech info, and orders something that won’t fit on his car.

I can only speak of USA delivery vehicles, and the 124 in the USA had factory equipped dust filters only on 1994-5 cars. They also had a different blower motor assembly along with the filters.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,746 Posts
In the model yrs 94-5, the cabin air filter was optional. And as mentioned, blower fans are different for cars so equipped.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts