Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There hasn't been a new post in the forum for several days. Come on 116 owners!

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
1987 560sel AMG: Custom Suspension, AMG Body Kit, EURO Mods, Diplomat MB Curtains
472 Posts
I totally agree buddy!

The 116 is one of the greatest MBs ever made.

Its ironic you bring this up, because my invite to ALL 116 owners here in SO CAL was actaully deleted by a bigshot here, "DE" Star

Looks to me as if his actions by deleting my invite are actually excludng you 116 owners to attend a GTG, and show the rest of the MB community that you guys matter too

Der Bomber (David)

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,323 Posts
Der Bomber, it was because you 'spammed' many multiple boards. Even paying BW vendors will get their posts deleted for the same action.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts

I agree that it would be nice to have more posts on this forum, but it seems that most American 116 owners go to the "Australian forum," 116.com. I do frequently, as that's where most of the "action" is.
Hemersam

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
a

I have to correct myself: the other "Australian" 116 forum is at
116.org, and you'll find plenty of info, etc., there. How little this Benzworld 116 forum is used is seen in the fact that it has been almost 36 hours since I posted the previous message.
Hemersam

·
Registered
1978 450SEL (116.033)
10 Posts
I don't get a lot of time to post, but I do cruz for info here. I am restoreing a '78 450SEL,
and I don't see too many of them...don't know why. It seems this thread is more for the sportyer model 116's.

·
Registered
1969 w115 200D
261 Posts
I don't own a w116 myself but still dreaming of having a 300SD one day. Not much postings in this forum as you said, but I still browse through it in case there are new pictures to look at and keep my dream alive.

I am in the Philippines and I very seldom see w116 models on the roads these days, much less 300SDs. As Der Bomber said, it is one of the best MBs ever produced. I wish we had more fine examples to look at over here. :)

·
Registered
75 450SL, 86 300SLD, 93 cummins truck, 01 Volvo XC70 turbo wagon
145 Posts
my 74 has been sitting for a month cause i stole the battery for my newly purchased vintage 1978 motor home.....need to git her back on the road bfr she becomes yard art LOL

·
Registered
SOON, hopefully
17 Posts
I have/had a post for this forum, but i need to wait for an admin to approve, been 48 hours now, guess i should not be so impatient...

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 450 SEL
11 Posts
Hello All, I agree with you all. I am a one year owner of a 1979 450 SEL. I like the idea of a get together. I am in NoCal however. Question I have, anyone have a car alarm on their 116? If so what kind. I have heard good things about the VIPER 5701....might be too advanced for the car??? Thoughts and comments welcome.

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,323 Posts
Well, there is now talk of merging this W116 forum into the Vintage section due to low activity. Just an FYI.......

·
Registered
S124 a 1989 W124 230TE originally from Germany
231 Posts
Hum ... I'm getting my "new" 1977 450 SEL in two weeks, so I'll post something then :p

As for the W116, I like its looks BUT it is an oddball design that tried to bridge the boxy chromed era with the rounded chromeless era, IOW trying to fit half-way between a W108 and a W126 : perhaps an impossible task :confused:

Add to this the fact that it IS designed to appeal to american taste (as was the heckflosse) and you have grounds to debate the merits of the W116 design.

It's a very teutonic design (read heavy) and I really believe that the really great post 1955 Mercs designs were penned by latin designers (Bracq and Sacco)

This said, I might own a W126 280SE and a 126 560 SEC, I still wanted a W116 in my garage :thumbsup:

Denis L'Espérance
Alias MERCOMAN
Grenoble, France

·
Registered
anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
414 Posts
Well, there is now talk of merging this W116 forum into the Vintage section due to low activity. Just an FYI.......
Why not ?,right ?, it's 40 years old, stuff it in the old relic metal section.

Maybe it's time for a new FORUM DEDICATED SOLELY for OLDER Mercedes.
Even the MBCNA forum sucks...
It's strictly by the numbers, more newer Mercedes owner=more members....

My brother and I are contemplating a new group/club STRICTLY for OLDER MERCEDES.
Requirements:
Ownership of a Mercedes W126 or older.
We have a good supply of cars and parts.

Ugh. I love these cars and wish there was more of a following.
I couldn't agree more.
Anything newer than about 1995 is in concept a throwaway car.
Anything that breaks needs replacement.
Most parts are not rebuild able.

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
449 Posts
Quite understandable why there is less and less traffic on the W116 boards... These cars have stopped being daily drivers a couple decades ago and unfortunately rust still claims most of the ones that survived. I am in the market for a 116 but being in the snow belt means I have to look far away for a car that's even worthy of consideration. Some of the cars I came across belong in a scrap yard, not in the used/classic car classifieds.

·
Registered
anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....
414 Posts
I can find what you are looking for

Quite understandable why there is less and less traffic on the W116 boards... These cars have stopped being daily drivers a couple decades ago and unfortunately rust still claims most of the ones that survived. I am in the market for a 116 but being in the snow belt means I have to look far away for a car that's even worthy of consideration. Some of the cars I came across belong in a scrap yard, not in the used/classic car classifieds.
It hurts me to see these cars get thrown away...

I can find a decent car for you.
Demand on 116s is low, and here in California is one of a few places where they survive in rust free/ investment quality shape.
HOWEVER: that same hot weather wreaks havoc on paint and interior.
Usually they are even priced or even lower than on the East Coast, I guess overabundance of cars in general and too little demand for older cars as detailed below.

Here in California the new car lobby has conspired with city and state officials to get rid of these cars with these silly 'buy back programs'.
Which in essence they throw $1000 at you to junk the car (not even parts are allowed to be saved), only to have the same money or more thrown back in the pot for DMV fees (higher, way higher and revolving fees) and "used" taxes.(in CA about 9%, so on a $20,000 car, even when financed, they jack you for $1800....).
People are essentially idiots out here .
IMHO: They are digging their own grave and stealing their kids' too.

Lastly, I know you're new here, but, please, fill in some details so 'we' know who and where you are.
I hope to hear from you
Regards

Alex
PM me if you prefer.

P.S. Karmann 20V is trhatr a VW or AUDI 5 CYLINDER 20 VALVE ENGINE ?

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
449 Posts
It hurts me to see these cars get thrown away...

I can find a decent car for you.
Demand on 116s is low, and here in California is one of a few places where they survive in rust free/ investment quality shape.
HOWEVER: that same hot weather wreaks havoc on paint and interior.
Usually they are even priced or even lower than on the East Coast, I guess overabundance of cars in general and too little demand for older cars as detailed below.

Here in California the new car lobby has conspired with city and state officials to get rid of these cars with these silly 'buy back programs'.
Which in essence they throw $1000 at you to junk the car (not even parts are allowed to be saved), only to have the same money or more thrown back in the pot for DMV fees (higher, way higher and revolving fees) and "used" taxes.(in CA about 9%, so on a $20,000 car, even when financed, they jack you for $1800....).
People are essentially idiots out here .
IMHO: They are digging their own grave and stealing their kids' too.

Lastly, I know you're new here, but, please, fill in some details so 'we' know who and where you are.
I hope to hear from you
Regards

Alex
PM me if you prefer.

P.S. Karmann 20V is trhatr a VW or AUDI 5 CYLINDER 20 VALVE ENGINE ?
Hi Alex,

First, yes I am a VW/Audi fan, as much as I am a MB fan. I did own a few various 5 cylinder powered Audis (both 10 and 20 valve turbo) and a VW 20V 1.8T.

A bit about myself, my name is Florin and I am from Toronto, Canada. I am a big W126 fan, however was bit by the W116 bug lately. I do not own a MB car as of now, but this is bound to change hopefully soon. In the past I've owned W123s, 124s and 126s. Indeed a 126 Euro 280SE gave its life to save mine and my friends in a terrible accident involving a drunk driver running a red light - needless to say that sparked my love for anything MB Classic!

I have a car lined up in Vancouver and have to finalize a pre purchase inspection with a local shop. I really appreciate your help and I may need your help locating a good car if this one doesn't work out.

Rest assured that once I get a MB I'll be alot more active posting here.

Cheers!
Florin

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,509 Posts
I post frequently in every section for cars that I own and have owned. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to own a W116, otherwise I'd probably be bringing the activity here way.

My birthday is coming up, someone wanna gift me a Euro W116? :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts