Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C230 WZ
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need autobahns in the US!! -- The current speed limits in our roads are ridicoulusly low. Just yesterday I was traveling from my home town in deep south Texas to Houston, and I got a speeding ticket for doing 92 mph in a 70 mph area.

By the way 70 mph was the highest limit I found during my 600 miles trip.

But 92 mph is nothing. Actually I feel more comfortable and safe doing 90 - 100 mph than doing 70.

We need to change things...

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
no way.

north americans are bad drivers. improper lane changes, road rage, impaired drivers etc. very bad driver communication. having driven in europe the driving is very different there. less egos, i pulled over and passed regularly without effort. and they respect posted limits.

drivers here have to change first.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The post from amgbnz sums it up well. Driver education in the US is appalling compared to some European countries. Despite the autobahn, Germany has a lower death rate per million miles driven than the US. As much as I hate to admit this, an autobahn in a heavily populated section of the US (such as the Middle Atlantic area) would probably benefit funeral directors more than anyone else.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Not sure that Americans would want to pay the same license fee that Germans have to pay too . . Over $1K [:0] The Autobahn has a few features that American highways do not currently have. First, they were designed with high speed curves, while American interstates tend to be straight . . a known factor for causing boredom and drowsy drivers. Second, the Autobahn is thick, as in the amount of road surface, which makes the road less prone to need repair and patching. Even when it does need patching, it's done right away, not like the delayed road repairs in some states. Finally, how many American cars would be able to pass the tests to qualify for the high speed driving as in Germany?

G

·
hardly any would, they're all pieces of slow crap. however, one concept that is more fathomable is to have a system of various auto driving licenses, much like theyv already got for trucks. each highway should have a "HOV" fast lane, much like 95 through miami is. in order to drive on this lane as fast as u want, u must have a "Class A" liscense, and a "Tuv" inspected and approved vehicle only. severe penalties apply to violators, such as losing ur license forever. as it is now, u cant even go fast with ur detector when u want to because NO ONE wants ever to get over to the right lane, and yield to fast movers such as us. It's A CRIME that USA has so many WIDE open spaces, and ur not "supposed to" go past 70 (120k's for those of us who like to be "more exact")As to the Driver's Training problem, its entirely the US's own fault that no one knows how to drive a car at all, institute a required "real driving test" and not just drive a lap around the parking lot like i had to when i became US liscensed, and almost immediately i'd guarentee that the fatalities would subside.

·
Registered
04 G500
1,634 Posts
Kirill - 2/10/2005 10:53 AM

just imagine idiots in Honda Civics flying 100MPH+
just imagine the IDIOTS in the Mercedes-Benz flying while on the Cellphone, coffee, cigarette and blasting the Bose stereo system.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Man-Du-Ru-Gas - 2/10/2005 12:32 PM

Kirill - 2/10/2005 10:53 AM

just imagine idiots in Honda Civics flying 100MPH+
just imagine the IDIOTS in the Mercedes-Benz flying while on the Cellphone, coffee, cigarette and blasting the Bose stereo system.
Yeph, as much as i like to go faster - there are some idiots that will kill not only themselves, but will take several people with..

·
Registered
2006 C230 WZ
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AMSOIL300CDT - 2/10/2005 10:53 AM

hardly any would, they're all pieces of slow crap. however, one concept that is more fathomable is to have a system of various auto driving licenses, much like theyv already got for trucks. each highway should have a "HOV" fast lane, much like 95 through miami is. in order to drive on this lane as fast as u want, u must have a "Class A" liscense, and a "Tuv" inspected and approved vehicle only. severe penalties apply to violators, such as losing ur license forever. as it is now, u cant even go fast with ur detector when u want to because NO ONE wants ever to get over to the right lane, and yield to fast movers such as us. It's A CRIME that USA has so many WIDE open spaces, and ur not "supposed to" go past 70 (120k's for those of us who like to be "more exact")As to the Driver's Training problem, its entirely the US's own fault that no one knows how to drive a car at all, institute a required "real driving test" and not just drive a lap around the parking lot like i had to when i became US liscensed, and almost immediately i'd guarentee that the fatalities would subside.
This is a very intresting proposal.

·
Registered
s430
14 Posts
oh boy.
driving every day from new jersey to new york (abou 35 miles)if i'm lucky it takes one good hour..[:)]
can't remember when my speed guage reachs 60[:(]

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
We don't need autobahns, others just need to learn how to drive (I mean drive, not put on lipstick-, eat-, or talk on the phone-drive). That way the DOT will see that these people can drive and perhaps elevate the speed limit close to autobahn specs. And like somebody said, the roads need to be better too. I came home from LA last night and the freeway was smooth, until I hit the 91. There were several deep grooves on the road where my tires could catch (or scratch).

If they advertise more power in cars (the way US car manufacturers do) then what's the use of speed limits?

·
Registered
S-500
56 Posts
in california the Maximum Speed Limit is 65mph which stinks. i don't feel comftorable until i hit 85 at least (only in my mercedes, with other cars i feel fine doin about 60-70). but yeah the speed limits r probably so low in order for the United States to preserve oil, even though we consume more than any other country. that whole class A liscense would be a really good idea. I got a speeding ticket a few weeks ago for going 50mph in a 35mph zone. The guy got me so pissed, he didn't even know math, saying that i was doing almost double the speed limit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really loved driving the AutoBahns in Germany for the 3 years I lived there!

But...I must agree with the above posts. Morons here in America would cause more accidents than it would be worth.

We've got great highways here...it's a shame...it sure would be fun!!

Black Cat.....[:D]

·
Registered
1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)
638 Posts
although there are some excellent private driving instructors in the u.s., the majority just fall short. so now the problem we have is that most our drivers and most of our high speed roads are not equipped for autobahn speeds. you first must go back to basics with driver training. then the roads need to be upgraded and maintained appropriately. it's not an easy fix. it's a five to ten year project. certainly not practical.

that is really a shame because i'd just love to unwind my 12 cylinders once in a while. i guess i'll have to look up a race track and rent some time. i heard that montana had a no limit road for a while but then that was modified. does anyone know anything about that? what was the speed limit and what is it now; why did they modify it? [8D]

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
aristotled - 2/12/2005 7:05 AM

you first must go back to basics with driver training. then the roads need to be upgraded and maintained appropriately. it's not an easy fix. it's a five to ten year project. certainly not practical.
yeah at least 5 to 10 years. It's taking 7 years to expand a 2 lane highway in and around rochester to 3 lane...and they work all year round.

In general, I agree that I would love to have an autobahn...but I wouldn't feel safe on it...I don't feel safe on regular highways with dumba55es and soccer dads weaving through traffic and such.

All those posts about europeans being better drivers are pretty much true. They (we) drive like crazy fools, but somehow get in so many less accidents.

I also do like the idea of the class A license or whatever...

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Maybe a little Darwinian survival....

We need a Class A license.

We need better drivers training.

No one is paying off the politico's so I give it a 5% chance of ever happening[:(!]

Can't hurt to write letters to Washington and the State capitol.

They don't read our posts[;)]

·
Registered
1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)
638 Posts
i'll give my 'godfather' a call, maybe all those politicians he has in his pocket can do something...hehehe [8D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts