Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Mercedes has something cooking up their sleeves...

http://www.auto-report.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=960&

It seems like they are going to end the civilian production of the G500, introduce the new MLG and then have a newer, more hardcore (a bit smaller) 4x4 for us - the original G-class fans (supposedly named the GLK-class).

It's a shame to see them end production and not offer a W461 or W463 with fewer interior bells and whistles.

Does anyone know anything more about this newer "GLK" model?

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
This chatter about the "new G" is like 10 year old boys talking for hours about sex. A lot of excitement - but very little knowledge.
Whatever will be coming from Vance/AL will be an addition to the MB family. The G will not be replaced! It will most likely die out. "Most likely" because there are still movements behind the corporate curtain that indicate something new every other week or so: NO!, Maybe, Nnnn....yyyes, No!, Maybe yes, maybe no?, probably yes. No. ???
Even usually well informed sources in Stuttgart don't know exactly. Even if there is a decision to keep building the G - it only means its death will be postponed for a number of years.

Does it really matter? There have been enough Geländewagen produced over the years that there are enough around for the true enthusiasts. What's wrong with restoring a 20 year old G to new condition. There are some businesses in the US doing exactly that with another 4x4 icon - the Toyota Fj/BJ series. Similar story, it simply died out one year and was never replaced. Life goes on!

Harald

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
I am not a fan of the pictures, but I love the story [:D]

" ... the new 6.5-litre engine as used in the S65 AMG"

A G65 sounds nice!

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4x4abc - 3/12/2005 9:04 PM

This chatter about the "new G" is like 10 year old boys talking for hours about sex. A lot of excitement - but very little knowledge.
Whatever will be coming from Vance/AL will be an addition to the MB family. The G will not be replaced! It will most likely die out. "Most likely" because there are still movements behind the corporate curtain that indicate something new every other week or so: NO!, Maybe, Nnnn....yyyes, No!, Maybe yes, maybe no?, probably yes. No. ???
Even usually well informed sources in Stuttgart don't know exactly. Even if there is a decision to keep building the G - it only means its death will be postponed for a number of years.

Does it really matter? There have been enough Geländewagen produced over the years that there are enough around for the true enthusiasts. What's wrong with restoring a 20 year old G to new condition. There are some businesses in the US doing exactly that with another 4x4 icon - the Toyota Fj/BJ series. Similar story, it simply died out one year and was never replaced. Life goes on!

Harald
Well said Harald. [:(] [V]

·
Registered
87 300gd, 84 mog 406
57 Posts
I agree with Harald, why speculate on what they are going to make and concentrate on finding the nicest older G that you can. Especially if you are like me and just want a no frills functional rig. Anything they bring out new is likely to be so cluttered with electronic crap that it won't be worth having unless you happen to like visiting your local Mercedes dealer a lot. I just aquired an 87 300gd that was brought over and federalized by a U.S. servicman in the early 90's and it is in tip top shape. I got lucky but it took a lot of legwork on my part to find it. I'm sure there are more out there, and they sure are worth getting. I have a 61 Landrover series II and the aftermarket/restoration network on those vehicles is outstanding, I'm sure the classic G's will evolve into such a niche.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
not much to fear...

my biggest fear is that they might make something that i like more than the G, but i'm not too worried. I don't think we'll ever see an offroad vehicle with a medium footprint and as tall a roofline and big windows like the G again and looks like a timeless million bucks. I suppose the LR3 isn't too far off accept for cosmetics and it's from the wrong manufacturer and way to many idiot proof features. I really don't like how they "over-integrated" the offroad features.

If they want to offer a traction control system that's cool, but giving basic on off control of the different features regardless of speed is nice and shouldn't be hard, but sales are so feature driven that just offering diff locks and traction contol systems has to be even more integrated and marketed with features like "gravel road driving"... yuck... it's called an ABS kill switch.

Not requiring the drivers to develop some understanding and reponsibility for the vehicles features result in increased chance of errors because they just don't know how the vehicle will behave. What does "gravel road" mode do?... and how can i anticipate it's actions in an emergency?

·
Registered
'94 G350TDL
304 Posts
Just wondering how long MB will keep supplying repair parts after termination of production. 10 yeras?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
going on almost 15 years and i think they've just stopped making some interior trim items for the 460 series, but that doesn't mean their out of stock, just stopped making them. People have been saying with the military production of the g-wagen through 2025, driveline parts should be available for a long time to come.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the G is a timeless classic. [:)] Really nothing is quite as distinctive as the G. [:)]

Wasn't there a fellow on this forum who purchased his G from the military?

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
GLK news

Mercedes, too
Mercedes-Benz is studying two different designs for a small off-roader positioned below the M-Class to compete with BMW's X3. The vehicle will be built in Brazil on modified C-Class 4matic mechanicals and will go on sale by 2008.

Known internally under the name X-Class, it builds on the edgy appearance of the new M-Class. The second vehicle, aimed at a younger market, carries the GLK name. It boasts a rough-and-tumble appearance that shares cues with the next G-Class, due at the 2006 Detroit show.
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101956

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Harald!

Thanks for the heads up! It makes sense that the GLK would be a smaller version of the GL Mercedes. The magazines are saying that this GLK will share the same platform as the Smart FourFour which will be built on a modified platform of the Mercedes C-class chassis.

[br]
[br]
[br]
[br]

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RE: Thanks Harald!

For what it is, I guess it's nice. It looks similar to the BMW X3 in size (not surprised).

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
no fears...

my fears continue to dwindle that i will ever be seriously attracted to a newer SUV... i think if i needed a C-class platform sharing SUV, i'd just get a honda CRV. I think the small bubbly SUV's are one of my least favorite vehicle classes. I like the cheap boxy toaster trucks way better... at least they fill their footprint.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: No fears...

How about the Crosslander 4x4 SUV?

Believe it or not, it is actually a 2005 vehicle. You can read more about it here: http://www.crosslander.com/models.htm

If you're wondering why Houston came up, it's because I googled it and the Houston dealership was the second on the list to choose from. I hear the price is $20K

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
Re: No fears...

BrentG500 - 3/15/2005 3:00 PM

How about the Crosslander 4x4 SUV?

Believe it or not, it is actually a 2005 vehicle. You can read more about it here: http://www.crosslander.com/models.htm

If you're wondering why Houston came up, it's because I googled it and the Houston dealership was the second on the list to choose from. I hear the price is $20K
Those photos have been around for several years with lots of promises, but no delivery of an actual vehicle in the US; and the topic has been discussed extensively here. Do a search on the forum.

Kinda like one of my old girl friends: "All Yak, and no Shack."

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RE: no fear...

Ooops. I had no idea Dutch. A few months back I read that dealers had began investing in this product and they were supposed to receive shipments in the Spring of 2005.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts

poor guys who invested in this scam. The last round of investors is still in court.
I'll take the "poor" back - that's just where greed gets you in life.

My next career will be growing flowers - and a few trees that flower beautifully.

Harald

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts

4x4abc - 3/15/2005 5:51 PM

My next career will be growing flowers - and a few trees that flower beautifully.

Harald
From under them? [}:)]

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
harald, i still talk about sex for hours and still have minimal knowledge![:D]
i guess it's time to start fabbing solid axles, for ml's.
even if mercedes produced g's forever, i would still rather have my 460 with no electronics or push buttons...just reliable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts