Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic sedan, 68K miles (purchased Jan 2017)
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may be aware that if you call the dealership to ask for printouts of all work done to the car at the dealership through the life of the vehicle (most of us are 2nd or 3rd owners on this forum), the Patriot Act provision citing data privacy may be an obstacle. I know I've run into this problem - even if you're the owner, they will only give you info as of when you became the owner; prior owner's records are kept private. Personally I think that's silly, and some dealerships may not even abide by that rule, but I know every dealership I've called in regard to this issue, with varying makes, etc., cites this as a reason they won't give me the full service history of a car - only past the point of MY ownership of that vehicle.

When Benz sent out a an email telling MBUSA.com online users to download their vehicle's history as, due to site maintenance, it would be deleted by a certain date, I decided to take one last shot at this and followed up with the online people at MB. I thought maybe the full history was kept online - I was mistaken but they still offered me a chance to get the full warranty history anyway. Here's the message I got back - I'm going to follow up on this next week and find out if I get the full history regardless of my date of ownership:

"Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for your e-mail to Mercedes-Benz USA.

As you may be aware, the only service history that would be seen in Owner's
Online is what was entered by the owner of the vehicle. There is no direct
link between our warranty history records and Owner's Online.

However, it would be our pleasure to provide the warranty history for your
vehicle at any time. It is our company policy that proof of ownership (a
copy of the title, registration card, or insurance card) is required as
such information is proprietary to the vehicle's owner. Once the requested
documentation is received it will be our pleasure to send you the warranty
history.

This information may be sent via fax to (201) 476-6213 or sent standard
mail to:

Mercedes-Benz USA
Customer Assistance Center
3 Mercedes Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645

The opportunity to respond is appreciated.

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC"

I'll give it a shot and update when I've received the info!

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
The previous owner of my car lived in Colorado when she purchased the car new. 4 years later, she moved to Austin. When I took the car for the inspection in Austin, I was happy to learn she had used the dealer I chose for her service work. The service advisor printed out the work orders and blacked out the personal information at the top. This was rather amusing as the car had receipts in the glove box for tires and a few other items with her name and address clearly visible, but they had no way to know that.

So now I have 3 years of service records since the car has been in Texas. I may try calling the Denver dealer and see if they will do the same, or try the above method to get the first 4 years.

Thanks for the info.

trey

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you - I understand protecting name and address of prior owners. But not divulging the data on a car you own just because you weren't the original owner? Indie shop work is fair game; they're not part of a centralized system so if the owner chooses not to divulge that info, so be it, but an owner should be able to at least get warranty info and work history based on VIN.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Agreed. I just sent a fax to the number you provided with prrof of ownership for both cars. Will report if I hear anything back.

trey

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
285 Posts
I agree with you. With the internet, there should be a national VIN based repair tracking system. So that even indies can log in and update repairs done.

As for dealer work that should be available for the current owner with the previous owner's name redacted.

I believe that small private planes require a log of all work done and the reason for that is safety. No reason why it should not be the same for cars.

I hear you - I understand protecting name and address of prior owners. But not divulging the data on a car you own just because you weren't the original owner? Indie shop work is fair game; they're not part of a centralized system so if the owner chooses not to divulge that info, so be it, but an owner should be able to at least get warranty info and work history based on VIN.

·
Registered
2000 E320 (Retired) / 2006 S350 / 1983 380SL - MBCA Member
66 Posts
When I bought mine, it was from the original selling dealership. They were more than happy to provide me with a folder containing ALL service records for the vehicle. That was one of the deciding factors for me when purchasing the vehicle...complete service records. The original owners had all work done at the dealership.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when was this walt?

it's possible when you buy the car certified pre-owned or at the dealership they have some discretion? i haven't heard of that before but again, it's possible.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I bought my E320 with 53,000 miles as a CPO from one dealer in this state. There was evidence in the car that it was purchsed new from another dealer in the same state. I drove to the original dealer and they printed out the entire service history for the car up to about 50,000. That's underlined for a reason: the normal VMI report only contains warranty work done. My report includes the few extra things the original owner paid for himself (replacement windshield as one example). They apparently had all their work performed there.

·
Premium Member
'13 Sprinter 3500 - '12 R350 - '97 E420 - '89 Ferrari Mondial - '88 560SL
799 Posts
After purchasing mine in san diego, i drove it back to chicago where i live and went into my local dealership, told them that i inherited the car from my now deceased aunt and i needed the VMI to find out when the last oil change was so i know when to make an appointment with them... they walked away and within minutes came to me with a full print out from 1997. Its amazing to me what a little 'matter of fact' speaking can do and the fact that the PO spent thousands in repairs for my car and as a result i have only spent 800.00 for a new radiator in 18 months of ownership. I think these cars are best purchased 6+ years old and near 100k miles on the OD.

·
Registered
1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
3,513 Posts
I have never had a problem getting a VMI for any car that I've owned or any car that I considered buying. I've done this at a number of dealers. There is no personal information contained in the VMI, so there should be no privacy concerns.

Len

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, it worked. today in the mail i received the warranty service history on my vehicle. i'm still going to try to see if they can't give me similar info for the entire life of the car. they did not provide receipts, just a listing of work done, which is unfortunate because some of this stuff provides more questions than answers...here goes:

1/12/2005 - Mileage 48,883 - Instrument Cluster
1/12/2005 - Mileage 48,883 - Brake Light Switch
1/12/2005 - Mileage 48,883 - Halogen Light Source, Headlamp
1/12/2005 - Mileage 48,883 - Amplifier, Sound System
12/21/2004 - Mileage 48,184 - FSS "B"
9/21/2004 - 41,016 - Floor Flap, Cargo Area
5/25/2004 - 37,595 - Filler Cap, Fuel Tank
5/25/2004 - 37,595 - Brake Lamp, Taillamp Unit
5/13/2004 - 37,171 - Brake Light Switch
4/28/2004 - 36,333 - Filler Cap, Fuel Tank
4/28/2004 - 36,333 - Brake Light Switch
4/23/2004 - 36,248 - FSS "A"
4/23/2004 - 36,248 - Control Hand Receiver Telephone
11/10/2003 - 28,274 - Catalytic Converter, Underfloor
9/17/2003 - 25,237 - FSS "B"
9/17/2003 - 25,237 - Control Hand Receiver Telephone
7/17/2003 - 21,575 - Catalytic Converter, Underfloor
7/17/2003 - 21,575 - Shock Absorber/Damper Strut, Front
5/9/2003 - 15,630 - Control Hand Receiver Telephone
12/13/2002 - 12,810 - FSS "A"
11/18/2002 - Control Hand Receiver Telephone
10/31/2002 - 11,138 - Fanfare (Horn)

This is nuts...there are three instances of brake light switch needing service, not that bad considering they are buggy on the W210, but 4 times it was brought in for telephone service...?

It seems catalytic converters were also replaced pretty early in the car's life, which is a bit confusing; wonder why they would fail so early? Anyone have any ideas? Also seems it had issues w/ the filler cap, the sound system amplifier was replaced or serviced (probably replaced?) in 2005, and I have a pretty new instrument cluster. Good stuff to know!

I urge anyone who hasn't done this or runs into problems getting prior invoices/history from their vehicle to contact Mercedes Customer Service. I'm going to see if this dealership in White Plains will consider sending me the invoices as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts