Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a detailing expert by any figment of the imagination. And, admittedly this is only the 2nd time since July I've tried to wax my car. The first time I got wax all over the black plastic and stained it white, so was hesitant to try it again. So today I washed her using Meguiars, then tried some Zymol wax... I followed the directions, and ended up with a mottled look. I only did the hood because it just doesn't look very nice. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Without seeing it, it is hard to tell. Make sure the car is in the shade, Make sure its at least 60-65 degrees, Let the wax dry until its really DRY!!!, Try using a MICRO-FIBER Towel to remove the wax, Turn the towel often!!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Apply a thin layer of wax using a foam applicator pad. Then let it sit for 15-30 minutes and do the "Swip Test" to see if it is ready to be buffed off. To do this, take your finger and "swip" the wax. If there is still wax residue where you swipped, then the wax is not done setting up. If you swip, and theres no wax residue, and all you can see is dark paint, then you're ready to take a Microfiber towel and buff off. If you find that the wax is "hazing", looking a bit cloudy, even after you've buffed it, take a Quick Detailing Spray, spray the panel, and wipe off. That should take care of it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Because of the age of the paint I would try a paint cleaner first before laying down the wax. A lot of times if you don't clean the paint and remove the oxidation the paint surfaces gets grabby and the wax goes on unevenly.

Klasse All-In-One and 1Z Einszett Paint Polish are good paint cleaners that are very effective by hand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The first time I got wax all over the black plastic and stained it white, so was hesitant to try it again.
You can try taping off the black plastic with blue 3M painter's tape. Basically tape off anywhere you don't want wax to be and dry (plastic, trim, windows, door sills, logos etc.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Mercy!

I felt like I should have left the wax on the car longer. The directions on the bottle said to wipe it off before it was completely dry. Some of it didn't come off easily, and I wondered if that wasn't where the mottled look was coming from. I may try it again, and leave it until it's dry this time.

I like the idea of taping off the plastic parts, too. Or maybe I'll just pay someone to hand detail it a few times a year! lol!

Thanks for all the great help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts