Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 280sl,65 Mustang Fastback, 05 Chaparral 220 Ssi
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should this be done? What should I use? Could I use the spray waterproofing they sell for canvas tents? What about the seams?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1981 380SL
6 Posts
A company called "RaggTopp" sells a kit with a cleaner and waterproofer that is Hartz top approved. I'm not sure what is different about the Hartz fabric, but why take chances with an $800 top. I used it on mine and the water beads up and rolls off. I think it also protects the top from getting stains.

Just type "raggtopp" into google and you will find many websites that sell it.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
There is a stuff from Porsche that I used, not cheap (like, $30 along with the cleaner) that was highly recommended and worked (and continues to work) great. Don't be tempted to use Scotchgard because it will not resist UV, or so I've been told.I'd do this outside, not under a tree or bird, of course!, very nasty chemicals.

If you buy this stuff, cover the entire rest of your car because the it gets all over the place The result would be dulled paint, and it is extremely difficult to remove.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,125 Posts
This one seems like it could be good to have in the EGv107. I googled until I found RaggTopp, and then searched here for RaggTopp. I'm adding this to my list. Maybe it will fix my problem and remove a major item from my list.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,156 Posts
RAGGTOPP Fabric Cloth or Canvas Convertible Top Protectant

Buy your 303 here also. Good info contained here as well. I just completed this. No need to mask off everything with raggtopp. Just wipe up with a damp cloth (clear windows too). I put 3 applications, following directions as I went. So far, satisfied.

1 bottle = 3 applications for my SL.

Quick shipping. Ordered on Sunday, received via UPS on Wednesday!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts