Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a fairly new to me 2012 C300 Sport. I've had it just under a year now. We've been getting a lot of heavy rain over the past couple weeks, and 3 times now I've briefly heard what sounds like a fairly significant amount of water sloshing around somewhere in the rear of the car, when I initially back out of my parking space and then brake. It only seems to happen if I go out when it's raining. If it rains over night and stops before I go out the next day, I don't hear it. Where ever it is, it seems to drain out easily. The latter half of my driveway slopes upward, and by the time I get to the top, there's no more sloshing sound and it's quiet while I'm driving. It concerns me though because it's new, and hasn't happened in the past.

I've dealt with clogged drains in both a former ML320 and C300, and my first thought is to check the drains. In both of those instances though, I never heard any type of sloshing sound. In my ML I just all of a sudden had a drip from the headliner, and in the C300 a drip into the drivers side footwell. I did check the inside of my current car thoroughly, and did not find any water inside. I also opened and shook the rear doors a bit before driving in the rain this last time, and there was no water in them, but I still got the sloshing sound when driving. I'm wondering if it's in one of the rocker panels, or somewhere else outside the car.

I'd like to look into it this weekend, and was hoping maybe someone else has experienced the same thing, and can give me some ideas on where to start troubleshooting. Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I think I found my problem, or at least a problem. I checked all of the drains and everything seemed fine. I thought I had ruled out the rear doors, but decided to double check, and sure enough, if I pour a cup of water on my rear passenger side door handle, a good portion of that water runs down through the door and out the drain holes at the bottom. If I do the same to the other doors, no water gets in. I've ordered the two gaskets that go underneath the door handle, and will see where I stand after replacing those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I think I found my problem, or at least a problem. I checked all of the drains and everything seemed fine. I thought I had ruled out the rear doors, but decided to double check, and sure enough, if I pour a cup of water on my rear passenger side door handle, a good portion of that water runs down through the door and out the drain holes at the bottom. If I do the same to the other doors, no water gets in. I've ordered the two gaskets that go underneath the door handle, and will see where I stand after replacing those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello just wondering if you got the problem solved after changing the gasket , I seem to be having the same issue apparently no mechanic can figure out what’s going on . I have a c300

·
Registered
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, in my case replacing those gaskets did solve the problem. Once I got the outer door handle off, it was clear that the larger of the 2 gaskets was not in right. A quick search should get you instructions for removing the outer door handle. It was actually much easier to do than expected, and took me less than an hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts