Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300TE VIN: WBDEA92E7PF248963
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 300TE. I have a serious issue with water in the very back. After storms, or the car wash, I have a significant amount of water leaking into the very rear 3rd seat area. I have taken it to my mechanic who has charged me for cleaning out some sort of "sunroof drain". However, this is not solving the issue.

Any ideas? When I most recently went through the carwash, water was gushing out of two specific spots. (Circled in the photo). One of the spots was where the water was literally gushing out of the interior light. (also circled)

I appreciate any help I can get.

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon & '98 BMW M3
515 Posts
I'm trying to go off memory... I believe the gas struts for the tailgate are sealed with rubber bellows in the roof deck. If those were compromised it would let water run in and drip out the headliner or down the c pillar.

My first reaction was broken windshield washer line... there's a connection in that corner above the headliner for the tailgate windshield washer. One day I went to activate the rear windshield washer and washer fluid starting dripping out of the headliner.

The best thing would be remove the vinyl trim piece across the back of the headliner, unclip the back edge of the headliner, pull the back portion of the headliner down and have someone spray water from the outside with a hose and see where its coming from.

The only thing I can think of, beside a hole or rust, is the strut bellows.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,822 Posts
First off, I would take the car back to "your mechanic" that you paid to resolve the problem and have him actually resolve the problem. Donuts to dollars you have a failed gasket or two in the tailgate to body area.

Couldn't the mechanic have stood by the car with a water hose and created the gushing intrusion? I would think so.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'95 E320 Wagon & '98 BMW M3
515 Posts
First off, I would take the car back to "your mechanic" that you paid to resolve the problem and have him actually resolve the problem. Donuts to dollars you have a failed gasket or two in the tailgate to body area.

Couldn't the mechanic have stood by the car with a water hose and created the gushing intrusion? I would think so.

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Duh... almost too obvious, a failed tailgate gasket. Make sure the area around the gasket, recesses for the gas struts are clean of debris that like to collect (leaves, pine needles, etc..).

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,229 Posts
the rear side window seals are notorious for leaking, and I believe unobtanium. depending on how bad it is, you can have some luck sealing them with a thin liquid silicone sealant sold specifically for car window leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts