Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i noticed a clunking noise on a friend's 05 C320, popped the hood and saw that pulley on the water pump wobbling back and forth. The bearing is obviously gone.

The thing is, it only has like 85k miles. I would think that it should've lasted longer than that. Anyone know the regular service interval? If its just 85K, I might as well just a get the replacement one from the auto parts store. I looked at it and it seems like a straight forward pretty easy job so I will probably just tackle it myself.

·
Registered
several
23 Posts
I don't think that you can associate the milage to the pump. Any part can fail at anytime depending on the maintence that has been performed on the vehicle and the conditions in which the vehicle is operated.I still would want to replace it with the best part possible.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
That is correct - any part can fail at any time. In any manufacturing operation, there will be a given number of failures. Let's say it's 0.001% over a 5-year lifespan. That means that one out of every 100,000 will fail in the first five years. That's actually not a bad rate, well, unless it's your= car it fails on. As for maintenance, I have to disagree in this case. Unless it was physically damaged during another service procedure, there is no lack of maintenance in 85K miles that could cause a water pump to fail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, I understand about any part having the possibility of failing at anytime. This is the first thing thats needed attention on the car so far so really no complaints. I've owned other cars and pumps are usually good till over 100+K miles no problems, so was just comparing to a high line mfg like Mercedes and thought that it should've lasted longer than 85K thats all. I suppose the up side is that its just the bearing, its not leaking YET...

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Another upside is that it's not like 90% of the other cars on the road that are FWD with transverse mounted engines and the water pump is attached to the timing belt so that it's an all day job and really not a DIY.

·
19,447 Posts
Those "lifetime warranty" parts from Autozone, Advance and the like can be bad news. About 5 years ago, I put an Advance Auto lifetime alternator on my daughter's Ford Windstar. And repeated the process at least once a year. Luckily it's an easy job and Advance never gives me any problems. I did the same when her A/C compressor failed. Given the cost in other parts and labor, when it failed less than a year later, I returned it for a refund and bought a new one from Ford. It's been fine. I think their rebuilders are just crappy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts