Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been running like a champ. But i keep hearing a little squeal like theres little birds around. Unlikely in this weather, lol. And there is a sort of slight bearing noise generally when running. The squeal is intermittent and only when warming up. Like fan belt noise but not.

Water pump bearings going south?

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,444 Posts
Alternator bearings? Power steering pump has enough fluid?

I use a long screwdriver (~18") placed upon the potentially offending part and the handle pressed against my ear to hear what's going on inside particular lumps on the engine. Or you can purchase a stethoscope with a probe on the end. Either way, these help a lot in finding the offending lump.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes power steering fluids fine but hadnt thought of the alternator bearings actually. Good call, thanks i'll try the screwdriver listening technique what a great idea :)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately it does sound like its the water pump. Never mind, could be worse i suppose. The pump new from MB is coming out something like £170. Unless theres anything that can be done with the bearings. (do they even have bearings?)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oddly it doesnt seem to squeal now - i think because the eweather warmed up. Is that possible? It has always sounded more 'bearingy' when very cold. Now it sounds okay once its warmed up. Maybe its going south but not urgently?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts