Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump is leaking very badly and I think it needs replaced but then I also got to thinking that possibly the ruber oring between the block and pump might have just blown out as the water pump has no play in the bearings in any direction and spins freely. I am just trying to get the leak fixed so i can sell the car running and driving and if i only need to buy an oring then i could find one local and not spend $100 to wait over a week to get parts.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Water pump is shot if the coolant leak is coming from the shaft or the weep hole at the bottom of the pump. It's highly unlikely that the leak is cause by the o ring between the pump and the block. Also, the labor cost or the effort to R&R the o ring would be the same as replacing the water pump.

Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well money is kinad tight right now and labor is free so if i can save the $100 that'll really help out with bills right now. But if you say it is unlikely that the orings leak then i guess its coming from te weep hole.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
O-ring? Dream on -- the pump is bad.

It's virtually impossible to see the weep hole on the M103 coolant pump and that's almost always where the coolant is leaking from. It seeps out that hole, then travels aft and downward onto the a/c compressor bracket abd beyond, spreading out (and some evaporating). Look down by the oil pan drain plug for signs of coolant.

Pump replacement on the M103 is such a nasty job that I wouldn't even consider pulling the pump to change only the o-ring. Totally *not* worth it. Unless, of course, the pump is nearly new and somebody muffed the o-ring placement originally.

Also, in my experience the pump bearing usually remains smooth and tight beyond when the pump starts to leak. Unless someone drastically overtightened the serpentine drive belt, that is...

This is not a job that you want to pinch pennies on. $100 for a new pump is too cheap and I'd be worried about the quality of that pump. Also, be sure to get a new, correct hose for the connection to the cylinder head. It's a "stepped" hose, being a bit smaller at the head end. A cut down radiator hose piece install may come back to haunt you and it's a lot of labor to do over.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I am just trying to get the leak fixed so i can sell the car running
I'm in a similar situation, while trying to sell my car, oil appeared in the coolant reservoir. Head gasket R&R could have easily solved the problem. However, when I inspected the the cylinder head, the valve guides were worn and needed replacement. The cheaper fix was to just replace the gasket. But, I can't force my self to do it. So, I replaced all guides and had it machined properly for an additional cost. Sold the car with the feeling that I lost a lot on the sale.

The payback came two years later when I came across the person who bought it. And he can't say enough good things about the car. Let me tell you it felt great. If I cut corner in fixing it, I bet that encounter would have been different.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, while trying to sell my car, oil appeared in the coolant reservoir. Head gasket R&R could have easily solved the problem. However, when I inspected the the cylinder head, the valve guides were worn and needed replacement. The cheaper fix was to just replace the gasket. But, I can't force my self to do it. So, I replaced all guides and had it machined properly for an additional cost. Sold the car with the feeling that I lost a lot on the sale.

The payback came two years later when I came across the person who bought it. And he can't say enough good things about the car. Let me tell you it felt great. If I cut corner in fixing it, I bet that encounter would have been different.

Good luck.
Now, these are stories that I like to hear! It's a much easier path to just cobble something up and sell it with hidden problems. If you love cars and you don't want the next owner to have to suffer for you shortfall, then you fix it properly in the first place. Half the forum members that come in here are complaining about the cheap/dirty efforts of a PO.

You took the high road dude and are to be commended for it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O-ring? Dream on -- the pump is bad.

It's virtually impossible to see the weep hole on the M103 coolant pump and that's almost always where the coolant is leaking from. It seeps out that hole, then travels aft and downward onto the a/c compressor bracket abd beyond, spreading out (and some evaporating). Look down by the oil pan drain plug for signs of coolant.

Pump replacement on the M103 is such a nasty job that I wouldn't even consider pulling the pump to change only the o-ring. Totally *not* worth it. Unless, of course, the pump is nearly new and somebody muffed the o-ring placement originally.

Also, in my experience the pump bearing usually remains smooth and tight beyond when the pump starts to leak. Unless someone drastically overtightened the serpentine drive belt, that is...

This is not a job that you want to pinch pennies on. $100 for a new pump is too cheap and I'd be worried about the quality of that pump. Also, be sure to get a new, correct hose for the connection to the cylinder head. It's a "stepped" hose, being a bit smaller at the head end. A cut down radiator hose piece install may come back to haunt you and it's a lot of labor to do over.
Yea I dont want to do it twice but I also cannot spend the money on premium parts, I wish I could though because I dont like cheap parts but its just not possible right now so i gotta do what I can.

How did you get around the inatke runner for the top back bolt? I figured a few extensions and universals? All the other bolts are out just cant get to that one. :mad:

Now, these are stories that I like to hear! It's a much easier path to just cobble something up and sell it with hidden problems. If you love cars and you don't want the next owner to have to suffer for you shortfall, then you fix it properly in the first place. Half the forum members that come in here are complaining about the cheap/dirty efforts of a PO.

You took the high road dude and are to be commended for it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kevin
Wish I could at this point take this road but its either the low road or no road and I have to get rid of this thing.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Well money is kinad tight right now and labor is free so if i can save the $100 that'll really help out with bills right now. But if you say it is unlikely that the orings leak then i guess its coming from te weep hole.
Wish I could at this point take this road but its either the low road or no road and I have to get rid of this thing.
Well there's a lot more to be said for honesty, something that is very elusive these days. Your financial situation should have nothing to do with the next owner of your car. He's the one that will pay for your present repair indiscretions. Nothing wrong with telling a prospective buyer exactly what is wrong with the car....you just won't sell it for maximum dollars. It reflects poorly on your mettle if you're just trying to flip the car with band aid repairs and not disclose what is really wrong with it....or the fact that you couldn't afford to fix it. Certainly your choice though......:rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't an honest person at all. I dont hide things that are asked of me or lie at all. I figure karma is a bitch. If they ask about it then I will tell them but its not my responsibility to show and explain every potential problem on a 20 year old car or else i'd never sell it. In example the trans shifts right but I didn't replace it so it could go out tomorrow but i'm not gonna tell a prospective buyer every detail like that if they dont ask. Who would buy it then?

anyway i just need to get it running and driving again because landlord is starting to bitch about three vehicles at my apartment....

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I didn't mean to sound like I wasn't an honest person at all. I dont hide things that are asked of me or lie at all. I figure karma is a bitch. If they ask about it then I will tell them but its not my responsibility to show and explain every potential problem on a 20 year old car or else i'd never sell it. In example the trans shifts right but I didn't replace it so it could go out tomorrow but i'm not gonna tell a prospective buyer every detail like that if they dont ask. Who would buy it then?

anyway i just need to get it running and driving again because landlord is starting to bitch about three vehicles at my apartment....
Dude.....Karma is a bitch and lack of disclosure is the same thing as lying....ask a realtor. Nobody expects a 20+ vehicle to be in perfect working condition unless so stated. That's not the issue here. The issue is if there are KNOWN things wrong with your car and you don't say anything.

At one time or another, most car owners get in over their heads....there's no shame in that, or your financial circumstances. What you do from this point on though, is entirely a reflection of your personal character. Good luck!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
To get at that back upper bolt is an absolute motheryouknowwhat. The deluxe solution is to use a 13mm flex socket on a long extension. This is like a 13mm short socket on a universal but all one piece and shorter. Mine are Craftsman but Snap-On are better (and 3X the price). The super deluxe situation is the MB approved Hazet tool which is like a 13mm flex socket but even shorter and more manueverable.

It's also doable if you reach under the intake, attach a 13mm/15mm double box wrench, and then use a piece of rope or wire threaded through the unused end and up between intake runners. I did this last time and it worked fine but there was more swearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts