Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
07 E350, 98 E320, 95 525IT BMW, 87 325IS BMW
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ON MY 1998 E320 THE WATER PUMP PULLEY WOBBLES IT HAS ABOUT A HALF INCH PLAY. IS THIS A SIGN THAT THE WATER PUMP IS READY TO DIE? THANKS GUYS FOR TIPS AND INSTRUCTIONS ON REPLACING WATER PUMP. PIC WOULD BE HELPFUL ALSO. IS IT DAMAGEING ANY THING TO DRIVE THE CAR IN THIS CONDITION? THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Water pump replacement on the W210 is quite difficult. I would leave this to a dealer. Believe its best to get from the underside and thats impossible without a lift. I would not drive it much as assuming its the water pump bearing that failed it will let loose and leave you stranded

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
sosh - 2/28/2005 3:37 PM

Water pump replacement on the W210 is quite difficult. I would leave this to a dealer. Believe its best to get from the underside and thats impossible without a lift. I would not drive it much as assuming its the water pump bearing that failed it will let loose and leave you stranded
This is sad to hear. The water pumps were incredibly easy on the W123 and W124. In fact the bearing/impeller assembly was easy to pull out and replace without pulling the whole pump. It was a job you could do on a lunch break.

The W210 provides one more example of German engineering gone awry[:(!]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GUYS, WHAT IS INVOLVED THAT MAKES IT SO DIFFICULT TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP ON THE W210?

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
ronellis33 - 3/5/2005 9:31 PM

GUYS, WHAT IS INVOLVED THAT MAKES IT SO DIFFICULT TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP ON THE W210?
Access to it is very tight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced water pump yesterday in about four hours. There is ample space to work after the fan shield is removed. Tools needed are, [1]Fan cluch wrench [2]metric star point sockets 10,12,14mm also a 5mm allen key socket. I also changed the thermostate,drive belt,water hoses and idle pulley. It is easy if it is done step by step. This is coming from a non mechanic who loves to save money and drive MB and BMW's.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes E430 W210, 1998 Mercedes ML320 (Past, victim of 8 key)
18 Posts
Ronellis33

Has it right. It is pretty close except for the tools to replacing a water pump on a 350 Chevy in a 70's-80's Camaro. Or something like that. .

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,076 Posts
Hi Mick! I think it was more daunting 10 years ago when this thread originated. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
W210 pump replacement

I was still trying to find a detailed instruction video or other that shows a water pump on a W210 being removed and replaced.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Has it right. It is pretty close except for the tools to replacing a water pump on a 350 Chevy in a 70's-80's Camaro. Or something like that. .
Uh...not even close, for my money. I changed a ton of water pumps in 60s-80s GM and Ford products, and the most painful thing they had in common (besides having to remove a big-a$$ shroud as well as a fan and clutch assembly, sometimes with god-awful spacers and long bolts) was that nearly every accessory on the engine had a bracket or link of some kind that went to the water pump. The Chevy V8 engines (big or small block) were just four bolts that held the pump on, but it was a ton of work and lots of bolts (of varying sizes) before you could do those four. The FoMoCo stuff (and many other GM models) was both, tons of crap hanging on the pump itself, plus many, many bolts securing the water pump to the engine or timing cover...plus the added fun of the squeezed-into-place bypass hose (which was a PITA to change just by itself).

By comparison, the M112 with no mechanical fan isn't nearly so challenging, though in some chassis clearance is tight. Add the mechanical fan and two more cylinders on the M113 and it gets closer, but you still don't have to pull off all those accessories and brackets just to get to the WP.

Freddo has been kind enough to post the DIY-PDF from the W163 forum, which covers everything, whether or not you have a mechanical fan you can use it. The only place I vary from that great write-up is that instead of the outline-on-the-cardboard to hold the bolts, I simply use the new pump. Remove a bolt, clean up the threads, wipe off any filth, drop it in the proper location on the new pump. When you have all of them off and pull the old pump, wipe it off and then move the bolts over one at a time. Then go on to cleaning up the mounting surfaces, etc., after which you fit the new gasket and pump and then move the bolts one last time.

But if you like the cardboard technique, use the new gasket to trace your outline, mark the holes, then punch them out with a #2 phillips, that will make things a bit easier if you like that method.

Good luck all around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK I had an H-1 Humvee with the 6.5 turdbo diesel and the engine was so far back in the vehicle and te entire front end needs removed, radiator, a myriad of ancillary components then having to crawl into engine compartment to get at water pump. I am almost imagining this but using torx tools. There is not a huge selection of videos on changing a water pump on an a W210

1 - 12 of 12 Posts