Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems I'm going to be having the fortunate experience of replacing the water pump on my mother's ML430 shortly. From what she told me the car started making noise as she was parking and next thing it was spewing antifreeze. The car has since been towed to my house and from checking it out, it looks as if the water pump bit the big one...not a huge issue I guess, but as I get ready to order the replacement from Autohauaz the following is included underneath the appropriate water pump:

Graf
Water Pump; 3 Outlet Type
If replacing earlier 1122000201 pump must also replace fan, pulley, and screws, request quotation of parts. Please verify that existing unit has 3 hose connections prior to ordering. This unit is for use on vehicles equipped with engine oil cooler mounted next to the oil filter housing. 1 per car.

yes I verified it is the 3 outlet type as I see the oil cooler right next to the filter housing...so the question is:

How do I know if I have the 1122000201 pump? And what is so different that I need to replace the fan/pulley and screws?

Lastly, has anyone on here converted to an electric fan and just ditched the fan clutch altogether? I've done this on my BMW, but I'm not sure how temperamental these cars are...but for $254 for a new fan clutch and $65 for a new fan, and the cost of the water pump, I can put in an electric fan for much less, and have it be as efficient (hopefully) :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surprised there hasn't been a followup...well I decided that an electric fan will be replacing the traditional fan clutch fan for several reasons.

1) eliminate whatever drag (probably minimal) on the engine
2) it's a cheaper option that having to replace the oem fan & fan clutch
3) it will make it easier to change the accessory belt and other components in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...reversal in course of action here...since I don't have the dreaded 1122000201 pump, I will not be going electric on this vehicle...why spend $$ I don't have to?

Additionally, I have changed the leaking valve cover gaskets and will be doing the o2 censors and hopefully cleaning the EGR valve tonight to wrap it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts