Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 300e, in the middle of replacing pump. Concerned about the large oring for mating pump to engine. Ring that came with pump and extra ring I purchased separately are the same but they don't really seal like I would think they should.

If I understand correctly, set oring in, fill in with some grease, thats it. No other compound is needed to seal the pump to engine?

·
Registered
825 Posts
If I understand correctly, set o ring in, fill in with some grease, that's it. No other compound is needed to seal the pump to engine?
You just need a little bit of sealant to hold the O ring in place. Illogical isn't it?
Make sure you tighten the 4 bolts to the correct torque setting.

Don't forget to put the little hose between the head and pump on before you put the pump in place.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Use the search feature of this forum. That topic has been addressed many times.

M103 pump replacement is a nasty job. Once you get all the necessary obstacles cleared away, you still have to deal with the pump's top rear mounting bolt. A 13mm flex socket (shorter is better) is almost required, along with a set of ratchet extensions.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Soak all the bolts with penetrating fluid over nite, think the one really hard hidden top bolt,used swivel,may have been 1/4 inch drive and 3/8 to 1/4 adapter,and I used some masking tape to secure socket on drive kept falling off. don't round off the head!!! soak it ! don't skip that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My experience with working on cars was quite limited. Oil changes. Started fixing things on this car little by little with help of this great forum. Fantastic site, great people.
This water pump job is time consuming, but it was not my only form of transportation so I had time on my side. No rushing. My point, don't let em' scare you away from it. Yes it's a job but very doable. As you read thru you will hear about a flex tool that is needed, I disagree. It can be done without as "Lowes" states you just figure out the combination that works. You can do it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts