Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Puch G320 V6
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my truck this morning at a new place to get the HB replaced- they just called saying the water pump has a lot of play in the bearings and they recommend replacing it as well- they'll call back with an estimate. in the meantime, anyone know how much this would cost? This garage seems honest, but i've never dealt with them- is this a likely problem at 55k miles? They also indentified a leak in the transmission seal and recommend a service/ replacement gasket- I thought it was a sealed tranny?

Thanks in advance,
m

ps - the place is called R+M Auto in San Francisco- hopefully a good future resource!

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
no idea about the water pump, but 55k miles is a good time anyway to change the tranny fluid/filter/gasket/and add a magnet to the pan while your at it. Yes, it's "sealed for life" but that translates from marketing english to engineering english as "sealed for pre-mature death."

W.140.589.15.21.00 - measuring dip stick
A.140.277.00.95 transmission filter
A.140.271.00.80 oil pan gasket
A.140.991.00.55 Locking clip for fill tube - QTY = 3
A.220.271.00.98 pan magnet

If they do lots of MB work they may already have the dipstick. Dutch has a file that gives some instructions of how to do the job and what parts he used. I bought the parts and then gave eveything (including the instructions) to the shop i work with. To get all the fluid replaced you actually have to do a double drain and fill... unless they find yours has a torque converter drain plug (which is gone by the time they made my 2000).

Off topic, have you ever seen a silver pre-2001 power top cabrilet? I used to see one parked in potrero hill.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts